Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

in the market for another release...what are the benefits of different style???

so i have a Tru Fire Hurricane that i love...but it's getting old and needs to be replaced.

the question i had.....what are the benefits of the different style releases???? for example, a dual caliper vs. a single caliper? or a hook style instead of jaws all together????

i figure if i'm going to make a change i'd like to know all the benefits of the different style releases and find a release that most fits my style. it's got to be a wrist strap style release...no handle releases. and i'm shooting a D-loop too.

thanks in advance,

riggs
    Last edited by jriggs; 08-11-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. That is the principle difference between a dog and a man." -Mark Twain-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I was going to start a thread similar! Thanks. I am very curious of the pros and cons myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    well i stopped by the local pro shop...and the two guys there are old school competition shooters turned hunters...so they've shot them all and tried everything. sometimes the amount of info that comes from one question can be a lot to digest...but from what i was told....

hook style releases were designed with the intent of reducing torque. now with the newer style heads that swivel and some other added features on newer caliper releases...torque is reduced to almost nothing...so it's a personal preference thing.

he went onto and talked about single vs double caliper and it seemed to me like there was just as many pros to cons between the two...i think i heard a fog horn in the background at one point....like i said there was a lot of info to digest at once.

so with that being the case i'm gonna grab my bow in the morning and stop by the shop at lunch at shoot a Scott Silverhorn, a Scott Sabertooth and a TruFire Hardcore.

i'll let you guys know what i find and how i feel about the different releases when shot back to back.

riggs
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. That is the principle difference between a dog and a man." -Mark Twain-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I went from a double jawed caliper to a hook style(Scott Silverhorn). It took a little getting used to, but I love it now. Just hook it on and shoot, I can hook up a lot faster and don't have to look at my D Loop like I did with my other release.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that's good to hear Ruttin. don't take this the wrong way..i'm not trying to be a smartazz..but i hear that a lot...that guys can hook up the release to the loop so much faster and they don't have to look at it....but it only takes me maybe one or two seconds to hook up my dual caliper release. so i don't really understand that???? is it really that big of a difference????? i'm hoping i'll understand it better tomorrow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I know where your coming from, and I have not got to use mine in a real hunting condition yet. I just know a few times when I was trying to keep my eye on a moving animal and try and hook up I would have a hard time with my old release. Now I can put my thumb on the single hook, and my D loop, and it slides right on without looking at all. Only time will tell when that big buck or bull is there and my nerves are shot.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    hey Ruttin, i get it hahaha shot a few different releases over lunch and i see why everyone says the hook styles are so quick...it's not like there is a difference in speed that would really benefit a hunt....it's just pretty much a brainless motion to attach the hook to your D-loop. i ended up buying the TruFire Hardcore. after shooting the releases...i just went with what felt best in my hand. shot a single caliper, double caliper and a few hooks....impact point didn't change so it just came down to preference. the only thing that i can say about the TRUFIRE stuff...is that the wrist strap is the best out there...it's leaps and bounds beyond all the others.

i'm also going to order a Jim Fletcher Fletch Hook because i want to see how godd his triggers really are...we'll see which one i like better.

riggs

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had one of these Scott Little Goose

Then switched to a Sabertooth

For Me they both shot very similar... My idea was that the double caliper would be slightly more accurate... The groups moved from where the little gooses were landing.. I FEEL like the Sabertooth is SLIGHTLY more consistent then the Little Goose. However the best thing about the Sabertooth was it had a NCS. NYLON CONNECTOR
    SYSTEM. With this I was able to fine tune the perfect fit for my hand and FEEL like im shooting much better with this release. I will be going into the field with both releases... Little goose as a spare though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd recommend going to your local archery pro-shop and try a bunch of different releases. You''ll know when you shoot it a half dozen times or more if it's from you. Myself I prefer a thumb release from carter. Try to get one with zero trigger.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I switched to an HTM Inline Release. I absolutely love it. It made a remarkable difference in my accuracy, and I also can say that even if I "punch it" or rush a shot on accident, I'll have a great chance of still making a decent shot. All in all, it's a fabulous release, that inspires confidence. That said, it's different, and you'll have to adjust your anchor a bit, but it's well worth it, in my opinion.