Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

When do the ELK start talkin in CO???

Was wondering when the best week to bowhunt unit 68 and hear a bull bugle? I have tried each week all except the openin week. Im from OK and this will be my 4th yr after a bull and i have not had much luck. Did manage to take a cow on my first yr! Most of the guys say there high up in this unit? Any info in this unit would be great guys. Thanx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    alot depends on the weather and the year they're having out there...usually around the 18th is a good time...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The elk generally start bugling in the second week of September, in the third week its the peak of the rut and the bulls are going nuts, and in the fourth week of september and early October there is still some bugling because some cows have come into heat late. If you want intense bugling action go in the third week of September and you'll have a good chance of calling in a bull with a cow estrous call or a spike or raghorn bull call. Remember, don't sound like to huge of a bull or else you will intimidate bulls to come in. Try to sound like a raghorn or spike bull and you'll call a ton of elk in. Use an estrous cow call because it really makes the bulls come expecting to find a hot cow and using a montana decoy of a cow elk can help that bull come in the last few yards.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My buddy says there is so much pressure y the 3rd week in thos public lands bulls don't talk. He swares the chance is higher on the opening week to get way up high and u will hear bulls talking just as good as they do the 3rd week? I just don't know much about it and w my experience i haven't had much luck findin bugling bulls in public land it seems like i just walk till i cant walk ne more. I try to glass but guys unit 68 is nothin but black timber w very few meadows! Anyone know anything about unit 68?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Last year they were bugling before season in the subdivision next to where I hunt. There was a nice bull with cows and I bugled and he bugled right back then took off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't know too much about 68 I know 67 is pretty decent. I would think 68 would be the same as long as you get in the back country higher up in elevation.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dito im actuallygoin to 67 that is boot mountain right? ne ways i made my way up there last yr and found lots of sign up at treeline and im hopin to get up there and catch em buglin up there this yr early sep its way colder up there and i believe 76 is o the backside of boot mountain u got any info in 67 i could use any help bud as to how u would hunt em i only got 7 days out there and i want to score on a bull bad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not sure where boot mountain is. 67 is a draw unit 68 is otc.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    tannerengland, Im also going to be hunting unit 67 this year. I have a muzzy elk tag, and my dad and brother have mule deer muzzy tags. I have three maps of unit and cant find boot mtn. on them. Are you planing on hunting the wilderness area, near creed?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man im nt hunting 67 i said the wrong unit its the unit right south of 68 nt sure what unit? But i know im hunting boot mtn and if anyone is familiar w this mountain plzz help me out...???