Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: ATVs ???

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ATVs ???

    I've been trying to call the Game & Fish all day to get details but the message says they're all busy and to call back later.

    So, this ought to be easy enough for someone to help me with. What are the rules for using ATVs on public land. We're hunting WY public ground for the first time this fall and wondering if it's worth it to bring them all the way from Missouri. At this point all I know is that you need a special permit. If we kill an antelope a mile off the road on BLM ground can we go pick it up with an ATV? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you need a wyoming ORV sticker which is 15 bucks and if I remember right, I think all your "supposed" to travel off the road is 50 yds, but i've never seen anyone say anything about it, as long as you just go in to get your antelope and back out and not just running around off road, I don't think its a big deal imo

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    232
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not even sure its 50 yrds..I thought you had to stay on the roads on public land. I can tell you one thing, its a hefty fine when they catch you..lol

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    969
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 50 Times in 40 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    They're both right. You'll need an ORV sticker and you have to stay on the roads.

    If you shoot it a mile off the road then you better either de-bone it and put it in your pack or make sure nobody is around and drive like a banshee!
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    They're both right. You'll need an ORV sticker and you have to stay on the roads.

    If you shoot it a mile off the road then you better either de-bone it and put it in your pack or make sure nobody is around and drive like a banshee!
    The 2nd option sounds like a lot more fun!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,176
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 317 Times in 241 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MOHunter View Post
    The 2nd option sounds like a lot more fun!
    Or you could play by the rules so hunters can maintain a positive image to the general public.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kamas, Utah
    Posts
    1,125
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 97 Times in 75 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Or you could play by the rules so hunters can maintain a positive image to the general public.
    +1 To many people ruin it for others by not playing by the rules.
    Shoot STR8

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Or you could play by the rules so hunters can maintain a positive image to the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    +1 To many people ruin it for others by not playing by the rules.
    My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. Of course I plan to play by the rules. If I didn't do you think I would go to this trouble to even find out what the rules are?

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,176
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 317 Times in 241 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    MOhunter,

    I understand your comment was tongue in cheek, and I appreciate you taking the time to research the rules. It is just that the comment won't be quoted tongue in cheek when those enemies of hunting use it out of context to paint us with the broad brush. It was unfortunate to me that you asked about the law, but were given the answer to just not get caught, joking or not.

    I am sure the closest BLM office close to your hunting area can give you a definitive answer. I know the rules in MT are different depending on location.

    Good luck on your hunt!

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    MOhunter,

    I understand your comment was tongue in cheek, and I appreciate you taking the time to research the rules. It is just that the comment won't be quoted tongue in cheek when those enemies of hunting use it out of context to paint us with the broad brush. It was unfortunate to me that you asked about the law, but were given the answer to just not get caught, joking or not.

    I am sure the closest BLM office close to your hunting area can give you a definitive answer. I know the rules in MT are different depending on location.

    Good luck on your hunt!
    You are a joke. Are you seriously going to act like you abide by all the rules all the time? and you cant take a joke? I am pretty sure nobody is logging onto eastmans forums to get "anti-hunting" banter or what ever you are concerned about. Get over yourself the guy made a joke and it was an obvious joke. If you want to live in your basement wearing an aluminum foil hat and fearing that everything you say, do and think is being recorded thats fine. Don't push that crap on us though, we're here to share and learn from eachother.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •