Thanks

Question When will they start to wallow???

In general when do you all start seeing wallows getting hit? I've been thinking of hunting over one this year and have been checking in on it but so far no action. I guess I expected with an extended period of hot dry weather they would be getting in the mood but it looks like it is more of a rut timing thing. Any thoughts or observations?

Thanks
    I found a couple of wallows last year that were being tore up during the hunt. This year I have gone and checked on them and only a couple are being used right now, the others haven't even been touched. The bulls in my area are wallowing hard right now. That is my plan tomorrow, going to keep quiet for now and let them come to me at the wallow while it is hot. Good luck
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    The problem with wallows here on the Oregon coast is most of the time they are one time shots. I did find one last season that appeared to be a more regular use wallow and have been planning on hunting over it when season starts next Saturday. The problem is it hasn't been touched except by one bobcat.

I love the idea of keeping quiet and letting the big old wise bull come to me! Just gotta figure out a way to make it happen....

Thanks
    Joe, wallows can be a good strategy as well as a crap shoot! (grin) It's true they can be a great "destination" spot where little calling can produce great results. Wallows generally start seeing use around mid Aug. to mid Sept. Sure wallows still will be hit after that but peak times are as mentioned. Active or used wallows are a must for sure, vacant ones are of little value. I find elk/bulls do not use the same ones every year in areas where moisture is abundant so finding active ones is crucial. Too, making sure we are on wallows & not water sources is also needed when looking for that great bath-tub sized wallow that is evident that a bull is using it & it's generally within earshot of his bedding area. Problem with every year use is the bull that was using it primarily could have been killed off or elk just aren't in the area yet. Breeding areas are great spots as well when wallows exist there. Of course trail cameras can be useful on them as well. Wind is always an issue to be considered for those midday sittings, it's extremely important that we are never scented on their approach or from their bedding spots. There are times we have to setup on a trail well off the wallow to get the right wind for a particular part of the day. Too we find the last 2-3 hours of the day are best especially if it's very hot!--- I have called from wallows with selective sounds & it has worked very well but I do not call from them once a bull calls to the wallow wanting to know if another elk is there. If you do answer there's a 50/50 chance he'll avoid it or come in screamN. (grin) I don't call once he does thus removing the 50% chance of avoiding it, he'll most likely come in anyway if stayed quiet!

ElkNut1

Thanks
    Thanks for the info ElkNut! Sounds like you've spent a fair amount of time hunting wallows. Here on the coast they are more often than not nothing but a crap shoot but I had real high hopes for this one. Checked it yesterday and a few cows and calves had been there and walked around it.

My biggest concern (next to a bull using it!) is the dang wind. My trail cam pics from last years rut are all from daylight until 1:00 PM and or course during that time period there will be at least two wind directions to deal with. I'm still scratching my head on how to best approach and hunt it from a tree stand.....

Good luck guys!

Thanks
    Joe, ya I hear you! The wind is a main issue when hunting midday in many western states. Is there a spot where you can view this wallow or wallow entrances from 100yd-150yds out? There are times when wind doesn't allow us to sit the times we want so we get back safely from being wind busted & watch the wallow. As elk approach them or water sources they generally will have the wind in their faces, if you can watch from a safe spot & see elk go there you may be able to stealthily slip in the way the elk did once he's there occupied at the wallow, this can possibly give you the 10 min you need of predictable wind to get r done! I would do no calling to announce ones presence!

ElKNut1