Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Make sure your bow is properly tuned. If you don't have centershot and your arrows are a little tail left, right, high, low this will not allow a pass through.

If you have shot multiple animals and no pass through go back to the basics and make sure your bow is tuned properly. Unless you are hitting major bones like shoulder blade or spine the only reason I can see for not having pass throughs on deer is a untuned bow. Alot of people shoot mechnicals because they don't know how to tune their bow properly. no offense.

I would definitely switch to a COC head as mentioned above. Arrow weight is fine for deer. For elk I would switch to alot heavier arrow like FMJ and be shooting Atleast 425 grain total arrow weight. Good luck
    Last edited by Grantbvfd; 08-22-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Honestly...with all do respect. I dont think it has anything to do with your arrow..I think it has everything to do with your bow not being properly tuned. I say this because I used to be the guy who would take my bow to the "Bow tech"...Well after a couple bad expierences with the bowtech who really didnt know his head from his bleep. I took it upon myself to learn everything possible about a bow and arrow. That said I still have alot to learn. However, I do know quite a little about proper bow tunig and proper arrow tuning. They are both a science in themselves. Your arrow may be the perfect set-up but if your rest is even 1/16 to far to the left or right it can make your arrow fly sideways out of the bow. granted your fletchings will straight'n it but how much KE did you lose in the process? Thats just one very small aspect of a very very big picture.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ohh..forgot to mention that in my opinion a complete pass through is always better than not..The damage is done and you get twice the blood trail.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jen, I have a question that may also really save your bacon on your elk hunt. Are you tucking your shots tight into the armpit of the antelope and deer? If you are, thats a great spot on these animals and a good reason you may not be getting a pass through.(not to undermine the bow tuning tips as those are spot on as well). If you tuck you shots in tight, you hit LOTS more bone and tendons on the way in. Mechanicals tend to fold up and hang up on bone and tendon.

This is also very dangerous to shoot tight on an elk. They have HUGE shoulder blades and they are thick. If you hit it, you may not ever see the elk again and not kill it either. I find that if I put a shot spot on the heart, my arrows can catch. If I go for a double lung shot, about 4 inches back of the shoulder muscles, the arrows do their work and pass through.

As mentioned above, I recommend fixed blade over mechanical any day for any animal. There are lots of options to go for. Cut on Contact styles have always worked for me.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We all have our own opinions and here is mine. As has already been mentioned, a properly tuned bow is a must. Once you have that, the fun begins. I know people have killed a lot of animals with expandable broadheads, however, my preference is still a cut on contact head. I personally use the G5 Montec. There are many quality broadheads on the market, this one is just my preference. I also like to shoot a heavier arrow. I would rather sacrafice a little speed and have a quiet bow and deep penetrating arrow. Look back a few issues of EBJ. Darin Cooper wrote a piece on KE and the importance of a heavy arrow for your bow hunting rig. I can't do the article justice by attempting to paraphrase and I don't recall which issue the article appeared in. I'm sure if you contacted the Eastman's Gang that could tell you. I found the article very informative and it has changed the way I tweak my bow. I hope I have been of some help. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    wolftalon- yes, I am definitely tucking my shots real tight in the armpit. I think also after reading everyone's thoughts, I may switch to a different fixed blade broadhead. Thanks so much!

rpeebles- I will definitely have to check into that article. Thank you, you were definitely a lot of help!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 4 Posts
    Jen I have found that I get a lot more pass through shots with a cut on contact head ( I shoot a Magnus Stinger) But I think as long as you hit them in the sweet spot you will be fine.
    Shoot STR8