Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't feel like the ODFW bio's have much to do with this proposal. It is the result of the way wildlife is managed in Oregon due to politics instead of science and I doubt the bio is happy about that. If the politicians hear from the ranchers there are too many elk the bios have little choice but to get rid of some elk. I could be wrong but that is my opinion anyhow. All the ODFW bios I know are great people who are doing the best they can.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My family and I have been hunting the northside unit for years.
    The past couple of years the deer and elk population has dropped. You just don't see the animals like you used to. If you do see elk they are on private. There has been times where we were elk hunting and someone was flying over dropping something loud or flying low to spook the elk on to private. It's hard enough to find the elk as it is! I would sure like to see these numbers of elk that they Speak of on public land! I think they should let the numbers increase to what they were, at least the hunters would have a better chance of harvesting their animal. The tag numbers for elk are fine the way they are I think.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi Men and hopefully women. Being now that I live and hunt in this unit I don't understand the resentment. Frankly everyone whom has posted has a chip on there shoulder or just plan angry I don't get it. So why not listen to a ex school teacher, and yes I am hot, stacked bottom and top, more importantly a degree in animal husbandry, here comes the trivial responses: so please no BS messages back at me like that, I am just a hunter like you!

I look up , sideways, backwards, and its always the same...damn landowners. Do you guys(women wouldn't blame this on anyone) even consider how much it takes to buy 100 acres in a prime elk area vs. 12,000? So your argument now will be "no one ownes the elk" I couldn't agree with you more...no one owns anything.

But have you considered the ELK?

They are not owned either. They are free to go back in forth, but wait...since you drew a tag they are suppose to be there?

The elk go to private land cause we dont mess with them....unlike across our borders that an ATV is always echoing throughout the hillside. We border NF :-)

So put up or shut up....get away from human activity=big bull, or just keep complaining on how everyone takes everything from you. You want a big bull? Go where the big bulls are...stop complaining!

p.s. I hunt meat so does my hubby

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just my .02
    I talked to a biologist last year when planning a hunt in Or and was told and agree with that current forestry practice don't agree with management of game animals on federal lands. No fires ( just under burns not ranging wild fires) no logging = reduced forage
    A healthy forest is a black forest
    And an old growth forest is a dying forest
    No reason for elk to leave private lands when they are managed and federal lands are not

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to EF, Miranda!

That was some entrance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Since this is a thread about elk in the Northside unit I thought it would be a good time to ask about my up coming hunt. My dad and best friend and I drew tags for the East Northside any elk hunt. It is nine days and the east side of the unit has a lot of public land. I have talked to the biologist and numerous people that have been successful in that unit. I have a map and plan on a few scouting trips over there as well. I would appriciate any information you are willing to share. Thanks

Miranda you don't have to worry about any inappropriate comments on this forum. FYI I'm not stacked and I'm a husband!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Wildlife Advisory Committee has several ranchers on it and their big push now is to try and get more tags allocated to them because of elk damage. They want to be able to sell the tags. They have also come out and publicly stated that the bow hunters are disrupting elk behavior to the point that they are moving them onto private ground earlier than in past years. We do have more elk, as an example the John Day valley, that are showing up in the river bottoms and hay fields but it is a learned behavior.....when the higher elevation feed dries out time to feed in the lush lower elevation hay fields. Elk aren't dumb and I do think our Wildlife Advisory Committee has their own personel agenda. There is no way that we are over the MO numbers for elk in either of these units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    ive been over there and murderers creek certainly does not have a over abundance of elk,,,i think the habitat could certainly hold more elk than are there.