Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    First thing first. If you haven't yet, try a Merino wool baselayer. The only cotton you should pack is toilet paper. If you have been moving dynamically in alpine terrain, you will understand that even technical synthetics (polyester/lycra/spandex etc.) will hold the funk after a few short days. A good wool base-layer will keep you dry and significantly less stinky over the course of a five day pack hunt. I will agree with the other members here that hiking in your hunting gear is a fine way to keep weight down, but only when planning on covering many miles just to reach your planned hunting area. One pair of pants (I have enjoyed the mountain pant from sitka) and an extra top layer/vest (sitka merino zip core/jetstream vest) should suffice during most hunting applications, of course rain and or insulated gear may be a necessity, depending on your hunting area and/or season. Socks should never be overlooked, I personally like 3-4 pair for a 5 day hunt (wool of course, no synthetics), and if you have ever dealt with wet weather or boots in the backcountry, you will instantly agree. Your feet are literally your lifeline, and unless your idea of backcountry is a half mile from the truck, you should try to keep your lifeline in working condition. Washing or rinsing clothes is a nice idea, if you have that luxury, but on cold late-season hunts, that is simply not an option. There are quite a few companies producing quality outerwear with the backpack hunter in mind. I haven't tried them all, so can't be completely objective; that said, I do like the outerwear produced by sitka, KUIU, and Firstlite, but by no means should that diminish the application of any other fine outerwear producer's gear. I also agree with the other members on packing an extra set of underwear. That area is the worst to deal with over the course of a pack hunt. Like most aspects of hunting gear, you will get what you pay for, and a few extra bucks here or there may really give you a more comfortable and in turn, memorable backcountry experience. Keep an eye out for sales on last seasons gear this off-season; retail is for suckers.

Thanks
    two pairs of underarmor boxer briefs. Did a ten day sheep hunt in AK with only two. These things are great. May try the wool this year
    two pairs of thorlo heavy sock w/smart wool liners: 10 day sheep hunt, although I was able to wash then in a stream. Would take 3 for a winter hunt.
    Worn hunting pants and shirt.
    light merino bottoms
    light merino top
    heavy merino vest
    some type of jacket, depending on what time of year and how cold I expect it to get.
    fleece hat
    gloves
    Kuiu rain jacket

all else can stay behind. If this is only a five day hunt, you have to be within walking distance of your vehicle. If you get wet or cold you can either tuff it out, or walk out to truck.
    Fast and as light as possible is what I would want for a short hunt like this. We can all suffer through quite a bit searching for the buck or our dreams!!