Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Altitude Sickness/Dehydration

Hey all, wanting to get some input on how one can lessen chances of altitude sickness and dehydration while hunting the high country, other than the obvious drinking plenty of water and adjusting to altitude slowly...ideas of what you all have done to try and minimize symptoms while being back 10 miles on foot or horseback from society.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Acclimatizing by sleeping at progressively higher altitudes is the best way. Your body produces more red blood cells while sleeping at high altitude. I live at 4000 feet. I spend a night at 8000, followed by 10000, before working hard at 12000 plus.

If you live at a lower altitude, you will need to start lower.

If you start to have symptoms, make sure to get to lower elevations as soon as you can.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have been using a product from hammer nutrition called HEED and Perpetuem Solids. I take the HEED to keep me plenty hydrated (its gatorade on crack! without all the sugars) and I use the Perpetuem to replenish lost fats and give you energy. The Perpetuem is great, I keep it in my hip belt pocket and eat 1 every 30 minutes or so. Those 2 products will definitely help. Bitterroot's advice will definitely help as well. Just go slow and if you get a headache or feel nauseous take a break or set up camp.
    Highcalibergear.com

We can help you cut your pack weight to get you farther back! Be sure to like us on Facebook to get website updates.

ultralighthunting.com

Blog that specializes in the ultralight hunter. Find gear reviews, hunting trip reports and tips on how to cut weight off of your pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    MT, where can you buy that stuff? Thank you both for the info...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My house is at 8700ft and sometimes visitors have altitude sickness. To get to a lower altitude is a long drive. I was thinking a small container of oxygen might help. Any ideas on this? My sister-in-law is quick to get altitude sickness and now she takes something that is preventing it. I will find out what she is taking

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take it easy the first day. I definately feel it (little lightheaded and slightly winded) once I get out of the truck after driving from about 1500 feet at my home to the mountains out west.

We usually set up a tent at the trailhead and get a good night sleep before doing anything remotely physical. After a good nights sleep with minimal stress on the body I have had no issues hunting in the 9000-10500 foot range after that. Good Luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    My house is at 8700ft and sometimes visitors have altitude sickness. To get to a lower altitude is a long drive. I was thinking a small container of oxygen might help. Any ideas on this? My sister-in-law is quick to get altitude sickness and now she takes something that is preventing it. I will find out what she is taking
    It is probably Diamox.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I cannot comment on altitude sickness but I can on dehydration. Before your hunt quit drinking coffee, soda and tea a week or two before your hunt. You already know that you need to drink water all day long but another thing that helps me is drinking a full bottle of water as soon as I get up in the morning. Drink extra water with your meal and drink another bottle of water before you go to bed even though it might make you get up in the middle of the night to relieve yourself. Don't over do it with gatorade and electrolytes because too much can be harmful. But electrolytes are needed and water alone can not be enough to sustain you at times. You must balance out your water and electrolyte intake. Listen to your body, it is always talking to you. If you feel rundown and are getting a headache then its past time to hydrate. Eat snacks all day as well as drinking all day. I'm the kind of person that gets leg cramps easily but I've found that lots of water intake with the proper foods will prevent this problem. Hope this was helpful. fatrooster.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Try Altitude Advantage from www.wildernessathlete.com