Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Applying for Elk in Colorado

I'm just curious why anyone would buy an OTC elk tag in Colorado when you can draw at least a decent number of units with only 1 or 2 points? I can understand it if you hunt there every single year and get an OTC tag. But if you are going to hunt there every other year or every third year, why would you go to an OTC unit instead of a draw unit that you only need maybe 1 point? By having a tag in a limited entry unit, at least you wouldn't have to deal with 1,000 other hunters in the unit. Do a lot of guys just not want to deal with the hassle of building a point or two? Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 6 Posts

OTC tags

NDHunter,

I don't know about the others here that hunt Colorado elk, but I hunt OTC every year, and build up my points for even better units. The other reason I do this is because I grew up in the unit and know it like the back of my hand. Here are a couple of my OTC bulls..........

Its not just an opportunity state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    A lot of the local hunters (me included) apply for a PP for our first choice, then either apply for a 2nd choice tag or buy OTC. Its getting so anymore the really good hunts (like first season) are draw only and require PPt's. The other thing out of staters need to keep in mind is that 40% of the tags are set asside for NR's. With the economy the way it is, there are fewer NR's applying and coming here to hunt. Fewer hunters means easier draws for NR's in some of the premium areas. Its all a crap shoot!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I totally understand resident's hunting OTC since they can hunt the same unit every year and get to know the unit well. MuleyHunter those are some great animals. I guess for me personally, I would rather hunt a unit that I only need 1 point to draw and hunt that unit every other year, rather than waiting 10 years to draw a premium unit. I guess I could hunt the same OTC unit every other year and get to know that unit too and would probably be succesful....I've just heard about the big number of hunters in OTC units and would rather not deal with that. If anyone else has any experience on hunting OTC units or other units that take very few points to draw, I'd gladly take some insight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Much like MuleyHunter, I apply for a PP first and take my OTC archery tag as a second choice. I have seen too many good bulls in OTC units. Most of the time I don't have to deal with crowds. On a few occasions, the weekends have been busy, but it doesn't take much of a hike to get away from people.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you do want to hunt a premium unit someday, its great to build preference points then get to go OTC as well.

You may also be applying for premium units in other states and if you don't draw but still want to go elk hunting, get an OTC tag in Colorado.

I'm hunting an OTC unit in CO this year and hope it goes well enough that I can use it as a backup, then apply for good units in WY and NM while I build PP for a premium unit in CO and know that I can always go hunting there if nothing else works out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i agree with all above. build up points for the future, then hunt otc in the meantime. if you go to the most remote places in colorado otc units, you still won't see many other hunters. sure the trophy potential might be a little less, but i'm usually not there for the trophy, but the experience instead.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input guys. It has at least made me think twice about my strategy there. I am applying in several states now and was able to convince my brother-in-law to buy a point there this year. We'd like to go there next year and so I figured with 1 point, we could get into a unit without a ton of OTC hunters. We wouldn't be looking for a monster, we'd probably be shooting at any raghorn. I guess if we hunt there next year, I'll see how it goes and then after that, maybe build points for a few years. I probably won't be able to hunt there every year so maybe in the future I'd try for a unit that would take 3-5 points or so. I can see how hunting the same OTC unit would be good too though in case a random hunting buddy wanted to hunt elk there that didn't have any preference points and I didn't want to burn mine.......So many possibilities.......