Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've heard stories of soft point bullets (partition) expanding on contact and getting no penetration ending up with a lost animal, even in 30-06. They are fine on deer, but I wouldn't risk it on an elk. Go with a ballistic tipped bullet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Triple shock... For sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    I've heard stories of soft point bullets (partition) expanding on contact and getting no penetration ending up with a lost animal, even in 30-06. They are fine on deer, but I wouldn't risk it on an elk. Go with a ballistic tipped bullet.
    nvarcher,

Plastic tip bullets do three things: 1. Increase ballistic coefficient. 2. Resist deforming in the magazine during recoil. 3. Initiate expansion sooner than soft points. Bullet designers use this to their advantage. They use the tip to initiate violent expansion of the mushrooming portion of the bullet while constructing the rest of the bullet to resist deformation, giving "controlled expansion." Expansion is needed to cause tissue damage while controlling leads to deeper penetration. Examples of these tipped bullets are the Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, etc.

Nosler ballistic tips are some of those bullets that have, on occasion, expanded too violently, and failed to penetrate. They do not have the reliable, bonded construction of the Accubond.

I have never heard a first-hand account of a Nosler Partition failing to penetrate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I run 140 grain accubonds grouping .5 inches at 100 yards out of a very semi-custom TC Icon. It smacks large mule deer well, but with a caliber that small its ify for ME on elk. I would rather over gun than under gun, and just dont consider the .270 a strong choice for elk. In reality it all comes down to shot placement regardless of what you are shooting, you can eaisily take out an elk with a 22-250....with good shot placement. Last year I watched a fella running 150 gr partitions out of a 270 shoot at 2 elk at 300-350 yards....not a pretty picture. After watching him make a shot just a tad too far back on a cow...which was never found, then a low shoulder shot on a bull I decided if I didnt help hed lose the animals (which I didnt care about him, just an injustice to our game) So i followed the wounded bull for over a mile until he finally bedded down and was left behind. He just couldnt hang with the other elk, but he wasnt bleeding or wounded to the point of expiration. I had no choice but to sit on this animal for 45 minutes until some one could go back and find the weekend warrior who wounded this animal. Right then I swore Id never use even a questionable caliber on game that large. When he arrived I ended up having to let him use one of my long range guns, a 300 RUM built to shoot 1k. A 557 yard shot put him down and out of his misery. I know plenty of elk have fallen to the 270 winchester, but if it were me Id stick to a .30 cal. To each his own...
    "Bulls, Bucks, Honkers and Ducks"
    Live, Eat, Sleep, Think Hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like you said yourself, its all about shot placement. Obviously the guy you speak of shouldnt have been taking that long of a shot because he failed twice to make proper shot placement. Just because you have a bigger bullet that doesnt enable you to make poor shot placement and take iffy shots

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A bad shot is a bad shot. A bigger caliber will help with penetration but a gut shot or leg shot is still a bad shot whether you are using a 22 or 338. It might help a little more with an ass shot but I don't see the benefit of using a larger gun if you can't hit them good with a small gun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AvidHunterAbe View Post
    I run 140 grain accubonds grouping .5 inches at 100 yards out of a very semi-custom TC Icon. It smacks large mule deer well, but with a caliber that small its ify for ME on elk. I would rather over gun than under gun, and just dont consider the .270 a strong choice for elk. In reality it all comes down to shot placement regardless of what you are shooting, you can eaisily take out an elk with a 22-250....with good shot placement. Last year I watched a fella running 150 gr partitions out of a 270 shoot at 2 elk at 300-350 yards....not a pretty picture. After watching him make a shot just a tad too far back on a cow...which was never found, then a low shoulder shot on a bull I decided if I didnt help hed lose the animals (which I didnt care about him, just an injustice to our game) So i followed the wounded bull for over a mile until he finally bedded down and was left behind. He just couldnt hang with the other elk, but he wasnt bleeding or wounded to the point of expiration. I had no choice but to sit on this animal for 45 minutes until some one could go back and find the weekend warrior who wounded this animal. Right then I swore Id never use even a questionable caliber on game that large. When he arrived I ended up having to let him use one of my long range guns, a 300 RUM built to shoot 1k. A 557 yard shot put him down and out of his misery. I know plenty of elk have fallen to the 270 winchester, but if it were me Id stick to a .30 cal. To each his own...
    Great post. I agree 100%.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wife shoots .270 150 grain triple shocks. Awesome bullet! Hammered her first big bear with it and loved what her bullet did much more than what I have seen out of my 168 grain bergers out of my 7MM on the bullet market myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a partition blow apart on a little antelope doe this last weekend. I didn't hit anything but ribs. The exit wound was bigger than my fist. That being said, I have never had that happen before. I have killed elk with them just fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AvidHunterAbe View Post
    I agree with Jon Boy and Grantbvfd on this one. It seems to me that the experience would make you swear off poor shooting, not the 270. That said, I sure like 30 magnums for elk. I run a 300 RUM myself.