Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where to elk hunt?

I am going to start buying points for elk hunting in Wyoming. What units should I look at? Never been to wyoming hoping to draw an antelope tag next year around Rock Springs. Can NR get cow tags? Really looking to fill the freezer. Don't get me wrong a bull would be great but elk meat is the greatest. I have ate tag soup 4 times in colorado, so now I am ready for some meat. I know I am after what everyone wants public land and lots of elk. Thanks for any help. Also how many points do I need? Trying to get my hunts lined out for the next few years. Thanks again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Yes, you can get a cow tag. But, you may need to be a little more specific as there are several options.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I don't know all the options. Wyomings regs are kind of hard to read. Like general tags that a NR can't get right? I have to apply for a unit tag for a certain unit. And there are no archery tags right? I want to rifle hunt or muzzleloader anyway. An elk with a smoke pole would be really neat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    General Tags are available to NR's. I have one and start my hunt a week from tomorrow.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck and I hope you get one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It can take awhile to figure out how to find all the info on hunting Wyoming. On their website, the nonresident hunting and applications booklet has some of the info. Then you have to go to the hunting, hunting regulations and elk seasons tabs on the website to find out specific unit info. Some of the units you can hunt archery hunt during the month of September. You just have to buy an archery stamp. Other units you have to to apply for a specific archery only tag. Buy the points for now and then research some areas for next year or the year after. I think you could get a general tag next year with 1 point.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man there are alot of left over cow tags looking at the website. If I new any of the units were good a guy could put togther a hunt this year. And try out my new tent. whats the elk hunting like in these units- 121,90,92,93,93,61? Any web sites that get into this sort of thing a little deeper. Im ready to grab the 7mm and go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Remember that if your area is in Wilderness you must have a Guide, guide can be paid or wyo resident who registers as a guide. There are areas that you can hunt as archery only or have gun tag and still hunt with bow. I like these area because if I strike out during archery season I can come back with gun. Look at MRS from Eastman for help, they are on line. Look for PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    sigpros - It sounds like you have elk fever. You were wondering about general and archery tags for a NR; the answer is yes and yes. About those leftover cow tags.. there is a reason they are still available this late in the year. When I said we need more specifics to help you out, I meant: What kind of hunting will you be doing? Backpack, ATV, Horse? What time of year? Are you looking for a trophy or do you want to just fill the freezer? What part of the state are you interested in? If you do some research and check out some maps you can narrow down your questions to specific areas and therefore receive more help.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will be backpacking and or an atv. I would be rifle hunting. I am looking for an area that I could get a cow tag in for a couple years and learn the area then put in for a bull tag. I am a meat hunter, but would like to get a nice bull to put on the wall. But not looking for an area that takes 10 years to draw and holds the boone and crockett bulls. I have never been to wyoming so I have no clue on what part of the state to look at? I am trying to draw units 90-2,90-1 for antelope. Those are the antelope unit numbers not elk numbers. Anywhere around those units that would fit the criteria would be good because I am wanting to go up next summer if I draw a lope tag and look around. Just trying to get the ball in motion and put the leg work in on a couple cow hunts and then go for a bull. The guys I used to hunt with in colorado would jump all over the place and never sit still long. Seems to me a guy needs to learn an area really well and hunt it a few years and that would boost success. I also wouldn't mind taking some camping trips with the wife and kids to an area and look around. Sorry I was pretty vague in my first post sorry. Part of what I was thinking is that if I went up antelope hunting next year maybe I could run over and scout an area that had left over tags and come back in November and chase a cow around. Thanks again guys