Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Ethics?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree, after reading the 2nd post, that you should have called him out.

I definitely think it depends on the size/area. I've been on both sides of this several times. On an elk hunt in NW Oregon we parked behind another vehicle at the trailhead. The 2 guys in front were right at the gate, and they were ready to fight to keep us out. It was a very large area, they told us the water hole they were hunting, and we wanted to go down lower to a clearcut. I was furious, but we ended up moving to keep from having a physical confrontation.

I've also driven past hunting places in SE KS because I knew that 2 guys could not hunt the area effectively. I went on to find something else.

Last fall I was the first one to a good spot for whitetail hunting (I've had good success out of a particular tree over the years). I packed my treestand in and was nearly finished putting it up in the dark when a guy came walking up the trail with a headlamp. He proceeded to walk to a tree 10 yards from where I was without ever seeing me! Come to find out he had a climber stand already on that tree and had been hunting there a few days. I had not seen his stand. We had come in from different directions and he never saw my vehicle. I pulled my stand and moved back a ways, but it ended up ruining my hunt for the morning.

It's extremely frustrating when you put a plan together and someone else has the same idea. I think you just have to look at every situation and discuss it like a mature adult. Nobody likes to be in that situation.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MOHunter View Post
    It's extremely frustrating when you put a plan together and someone else has the same idea. I think you just have to look at every situation and discuss it like a mature adult. Nobody likes to be in that situation.
    I agree!

I also think what comes around goes around, be the better man and good things will come to you.

I often run into something similar but the guy is my hunting partner of 15 years, LOL he has never elk hunted with anyone else so he
    often wants to be where I am even if we go in different directions, all of a sudden I will get to an area and sob if he hasn't diverted his direction seemingly to get in front of me, it really bothers me! so lately I have adjusted to where it can't happen.
    I have no problem going in an opposite direction, I have done well doing so even if it wasn't my initial plan and I am happier.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Too much road access in Oregon, agreed! It is very hard to get find an area without some type of quad or road access. If I were the guy who arrived late, I would have probably looked for another area to go, especially if I ran into the other hunter. I wouldn't want to directly compete with another guy for the same group of elk, that's just me.

Best of luck,
    Jeff

Thanks
    Congratulations
    @JasonH - I think it was very admirable of you to offer to let him come along with you. Personally, I don;t hunt with just anyone. I like to know them, and know how they hunt and that they have high safety standards and good ethics when it comes to a clean kill. Kudos to you for being open to such a generous offer. I'm with OR Archer though - first come first served, and that means EACH day, not who got there first that week.

I was also out on the OR Coast range over the weekend and am happy to say everyone was playing nice in the woods that we ran in to...and.....I got my first black bear! Yeahhhh

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congrats Leveller! Where are the pics?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My hunting partner scored on a black bear that tree itself this past weekend as well. It was a nice consolation prize for the 10 days of effort. Myself having already taken a bear in the past and being the gracious guy I am, let him fling an arrow. It was great to see my buddy get his first archery kill.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree there should be a written code of "hunter ethics"......but the fact still remains Public land is Public land and it should be treated as such.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    @JasonH - must be the time of year for treeing themselves - mine did the same.

@sjsmallfield - Attached is the pic - 150lbs and 180ydsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00676.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1695

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congrats. Nice Bear!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks sjsmallfield. Not only my first bear, but I got to break in my new Rem 300 Ultra Mag too!