Thread: Zen-Ray ED3

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zen-Ray ED3

So I just recently got a pair of the 10X43's and finally had time to really try them out this weekend. For the most part they are great and very clear but the one thing that jumped out at me and maybe it's because they are ED glass was the color. Over the weekend I was looking out over some meadows and while comparing them to my old pair of Monarchs and my dad's Swaro's to see the differences then one main difference was the color of the meadows. What I mean by this is while looking through my old monarch and my dad's swaro's the meadows were a nice yellow color but when I looked through the ED3's they were a very pale yellow color. Does this sound normal or should I be calling Zen-Ray tomorrow? Anyone else seen something similar?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum12 View Post
    So I just recently got a pair of the 10X43's and finally had time to really try them out this weekend. For the most part they are great and very clear but the one thing that jumped out at me and maybe it's because they are ED glass was the color. Over the weekend I was looking out over some meadows and while comparing them to my old pair of Monarchs and my dad's Swaro's to see the differences then one main difference was the color of the meadows. What I mean by this is while looking through my old monarch and my dad's swaro's the meadows were a nice yellow color but when I looked through the ED3's they were a very pale yellow color. Does this sound normal or should I be calling Zen-Ray tomorrow? Anyone else seen something similar?
    magnum12, it sounds like a color bias. I know some versions of the Monarch had a yellow color bias, making yellows appear more yellow, and making blues a little more subdued. Older Swaros were the same way. The most recent SLCneus and the brand-new SLC HDs and Swarovisions are really neutral.

My ED2s are pretty neutral, so the yellows are a little "paler" than yellow-bias bins. MY 2010 SLCneus are even more neutral than my ED2s. Side by Side with my buddies older SLCs, the older SLCs have a much "yellower" view.

Are your dad's Swaros older than 2003? They changed the prism coating to a dialectric coating that year, and by most accounts lost the yellow bias.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot, Thank you for the reply! Yes, his are older than 2003 and have a very similiar yellow color as my monarchs which if I remeber correctly were purchased around 2000 or 01.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My ED3 seem to be neutral but I actually like it. They are bright but you don't give "over saturated" colors if that is a way to loosely describe it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Scott, After looking though mine more, I really don't mind it at all and have to agree they are bright!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Today, it seems most companies are striving for more neutral color in their optics. I have heard the newest Monarchs are pretty neutral, but I haven't spent much time with a pair of Monarchs recently.

It isn't really all colors that are "over-saturated" (love that descriptor, BTW), but certain colors appear more saturated than others. Usually yellows (warm color bias) or blues (cool color bias). Older Zeiss bins were know for their cool color bias. Neutral color leads to views with equally-saturated tones, kind of like using the naked eye.

Some bins like Steiner's Predator bins have a bias engineered into them, supposedly making it easier to spot game. I find the view a little distracting, myself. The more neutral, the better, IMO.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 09-06-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: emphasis added

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot, thanks again for the info and now I feel better knowing this is the way their made and not something wrong. Don't need any problems a week before the season opens.