Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk talking yet?

Just curious what everyone else is hearing. I had a buddy in North Park who was hearing them half-heatedly bugle since July, but since last week it seems they have gone quiet.

I was out for a weekend hunt by Steamboat Springs and the rutting activity is non-existent there at 8800ft. Saw a cow and calf Saturday morning and a little further up saw a group of 8-9 elk few bulls with few cows scattered all over a private mountain side just feeding. On Sunday morning glassed up two lone cows feeding on another hillside. I was shocked to see a few bulls and cows together and no rutting activity. The bulls acted like they cared less about the cows and there was one dandy bull who will probably have his pick in a couple weeks.

Oh well, its still early and really hot. We need the days to keep shortening and the temperatures to drop and then we should start seeing some rutting action.

What are you guys all experiencing?
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Hunt hard and live with no regrets!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was north of steamboat last week and it was tough. I did not hear an elk bugle and the elk we saw were low. We still had a great hunt and had a few chances and ate tag soup but great time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i'll be north of steamboat starting friday for 8 days. the weather forecast is still above normal for all of next week. i was out there last year for opener and they were already starting to rut. i was hoping going two weeks later this year would be the peak, hopefully the weather snaps cold soon.

walleyed, how high of elevation did you go up to?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    10,500' or there abouts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Was hunting mule deer in the high country in southern colorado over the long weekend and didnt hear a single bugle. Seen a few elk, but only 1 bull and he was only a small 4 point. i would imagine they'll start cranking up in the next week or so if the weather cools off a little more. So far on my mule deer hunt the score is: Deer 3, Me 0! I'll be back at it again soon. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Keep after it guys!

Word has it the bulls in North Park vicinity were talking today pretty good with the cool rainy weather.

Also went out glassing this morning, saw a small 6x6 get run off (did not see the herd but he came trotting out like he was being pursued) and saw a really nice unique 6xunicorn with a harem of 12 cows. He was pushing them to bedding and licking the air behind a cow, good sign the cows are starting to cycle.

Things should fire up good this week!
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Hunt hard and live with no regrets!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They are starting to talk pretty good now in the Southern part of the state up high...
    "This is A Way of Life"