Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Archery Roadhunters?!?!?!

Been hunting elk here in Wyoming for the last couple weeks and have noticed a ton of hunters driving on roads in their trucks and bugling out the window. Sitting for a few minutes and driving a few hundreds yards to do it again. The first couple days the bulls were starting to bugle moderately then they shut up. The people driving in the trucks would be talking to each other wondering why the bulls werent talking. WOW, is it that hard to figure out why they shut up. Never seen so many archery hunters in wyo and cant imagine how they will ever get close enough to shoot one hunting from their vehicle. Too many tree stand hunters from the east that cant put in enough effort to walk 10 or more miles a day to get on an elk. My wife and I ran into elk everyday on our morning and evening hunts. Just havent gotten close enough to stick one yet. Anyone else noticing this new trend here in Wyo?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hahaha! Where at where you hunting? I agree, if you are not afraid to get off the road and hike a deep canyon or two.. you're gonna get into elk. I have been in elk every day that I have hunted as long as I got off my lil butt and walked.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that is funny, i have seen that here in ID as well. don't understand it to well the elk i have hunted aren't that dumb.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    See it here in Oregon all the time, including just a few weeks back. I was rifle hunting bear, not bow hunting elk though, but some bow hunters bugled from their truck, got nothing but another truck drive through the unit (HA!) so drove off again. We got out, walked over the ridge 100 yds to watch the draw for bear early morning feeding, and there was a small herd of elk with 3 legal bulls not 200 yds from us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like they are using the turkey road hunting tatics from back in PA, always could count on somebody driving around and calling for gobblers in the spring. Oh well if they don't want to get out of the truck that leaves a better chance for us.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunt my deer that way. Drive till I see one, get out and shoot it. I got my buck on Friday that way this year.
    Elk on the other hand require some time and effort, hiking, and searching and true "hunting" to get close to. I have never road hunted elk.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jenbickel, I hunt in the black hills of Wyoming. Its very hard to get up on a peak here and glass since the trees are so thick and cover every peak to the very top. You have to get out and walk into the thickest darkest part of the forest you can to get into the elk. Especially this year. The people have shut the elk right up. Its usually just my wife and my dad hunting in the area and this is the first year we have seen a lot of people. The forest service has shut a lot of the roads down here cause people would shoot the locks on the gates or just put their own lock on the gate to have the area to themselves. Hard to believe what some people will do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is crazy!!! Are you in the Sundance area? I live in Sheridan and also have a house in Pine Haven..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in Newcastle, just south of sundance. I go over to Sheridan a lot to hunt bears. I hunt on Eatons ranch in Wolf. My cousin lives in Sheridan and does all the hard work of baiting then I get to go up and do the hunting. Have you ever hunted elk in the black hills. We are running into some big bulls this year. We just cant seem to get that extra 20 yards to get that shot off. They keep moving off into South Dakota or on private land where we cant go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    lol that sounds like you got the bear hunting all worked out well! I havent ever really hunted in the Black Hills. I have shed hunted there though and found that hard enough. haha I know how it goes though not being able to get in that extra 20 yards to get a shot off. That's how my season has been going as well.