Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Elk being queit.

The past two weeks the elk have been talking their heads off but since Saturday they have stopped talking. I haven't seen any of the big bulls for about a week. Some of the cows are still together but no bulls. I did call in a small bull yesterday but he walked in quietly and I couldn't get a shot. Are the cows in that area already bred or have the hunters presence pushed the big bulls to shut up and hide in the thick nasty stuff? F.Y.I I'm in the NW part of the state.

Thanks
    I noticed they were very quiet last weekend. Some noise before light but then nothing and lone bulls with no cows. At first I was thinking the rut was over, but after talking to others and the extremely hot weather we've been having I am leaning towards the rut not being in full swing yet. This is in southwestern montana.

Anyone else have updates from montana? What are you seeing? Is the rut winding down or just running late this year?

Thanks
    In central MT I think that the rut is still going it was just so dang hot out that there wasnt ant thing that was moving.

Thanks
    I was out this last weekend backpack hunting and didnt hear a peep (SW part). I had 2 friends in South Central part and they ran into a couple of bulls bugling hard and actually harvested one. From the sounds of it from other guys this weekend was kinda off because of the weather, seems 50/50 if guys were hearing them or not, atleast thats what they are telling me.
    Highcalibergear.com

We can help you cut your pack weight to get you farther back! Be sure to like us on Facebook to get website updates.

ultralighthunting.com

Blog that specializes in the ultralight hunter. Find gear reviews, hunting trip reports and tips on how to cut weight off of your pack.

Thanks
    Here in Utah it has been the same. Our hunt was over on the 16th, but I have been going out and finding bulls for next year. As of Saturday everything had shut down in the areas I hunt, no bugling at all, even the early hours of morning and late at night after dark. The elk I have seen, you can call to them and they don't even pick up their heads, like the rut hasn't even started. Good luck to all of you who can still hunt.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    yeah slowed down in Western MT too. It always seems to about this time of the year. It usually picks up hot around Oct. 1st. I am heading out tomorrow, we will see what happens.

Thanks
    Hey Bitterroot are you chasing after that bull you had on video? If so or not good luck.

On a completely different topic I heard MSU looked pretty good beating up on Eastern Washington. I got to see NDSU beat the U of MN last Saturday at TCF bank stadium here in Minneapolis and boy did NDSU look good. They beat the Big Ten Gphers by 2 TD's.

Dewey

Thanks
    I have already been out looking for that big seven, but as expected, he moved out of his summer range to parts unknown. I will be looking for him and others this week.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but there are some great FCS teams out there this year. Maybe there will be a playoff rematch between the Bison and Cats this year!

Thanks
    Do you guys think they will still be rutting on oct. 8th? Or will it be pretty much over by then?

Thanks
    Should still be going pretty strong this year, but it can be hard to predict!