Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Antelope unit 74 questions

New to Eastman's forum. I am a Colorado traditional bowhunter (no elk meat in freezer this year although 3 different 5 x 5's within 10 to 15 yards) and I am taking my oldest daughter (17) to Wyoming unit 74 next weekend (Oct 8th and 9th) for an Antelope doe meat hunt. Admittedly clueless (hunting with a 30-06 that I have not shot in over a decade) but mostly about the area as I have never been there. I believe that there are 2 walk in areas? Not looking to try to make this a great "hunt", just an efficient meat hunt where my daughter can take a couple of does. Any thoughts or suggestion on locations; private land; are the walk in areas the best; is it best to stay in Casper, etc? Is the Division of Wildlife in Wyoming helpful?
    Many thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You will see antelope everywhere. Don't worry about it. There is as much antelope in that area as there are illegal aliens in Nevada/California.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    You will see antelope everywhere. Don't worry about it. There is as much antelope in that area as there are illegal aliens in Nevada/California.
    Wow, thats a lot of Antelope!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Haha. Yeah!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've hunted 74 a lot. Casper is a long ways away, try Hells Half Acre or Powder River for motels. You should have no trouble filling a doe tag.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've hunted 74 a lot. Casper is a long ways away, try Hells Half Acre or Powder River for motels. You should have no trouble filling a doe tag.
    Many thanks for the help. I checked and I cannot find any hotels in Hells Half Acre of Powder River. I assume that it will take about an hour drive from Casper.

So, any thoughts on 'where' I should hunt?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunted unit 74 last year, fun hunt, lots of goats. Stayed at the motel in Shoshoni, I dont believe Hells Half Acre or Powder river have any motels. Shoshoni is only a few miles from the western border of 74. We hunted mostly in the castle gardens areas, lots of public land, the walkin areas can also be good. I believe the deer season in unit 90 opened on Oct 1st, so there might be a few hunters out and about. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Unit 74 is my favorite Wyoming unit for antelope. But have not drawn in a couple of years. Last time I was there we came thru Muddy Gap and gravel county roads, so I have not seen Hells Half Acre in awhile. I have stayed there many times in their campground & motel, ate many satisfactory meals there and played lots of pool with some suds too after a successful day in the field. If it is now closed, thats a shame.

Last week I passed thru Shoshoni on my way to and from Cody on my elk hunt. there are several motels there, which is a lot closer than Casper. Good luck on your hunt with your daughter.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts

Cool Area 74

Mogley,
    I have a buck and 2 doe antelope tags for area 74 also. I will arrive on the 8th and hunt until the 13th then I'll move to my deer area, 118. Never hunted the area before but the biologist and the GW said lots of antelope around. I hope to be picky and shoot a decent buck antelope. I'm from WA state, white ford F-150. Maybe we will meet in the unit.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How are the draw odds in this unit? Myself, dad and 15 year old brother would like to go to Wyoming next year for a father/son antelope hunt. I have not started to do any research quite yet but figured I could start asking.
    Highcalibergear.com

We can help you cut your pack weight to get you farther back! Be sure to like us on Facebook to get website updates.

ultralighthunting.com

Blog that specializes in the ultralight hunter. Find gear reviews, hunting trip reports and tips on how to cut weight off of your pack.