Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheep Tags

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    In my thinking it is a great idea. More primitive weapons equal less harvest which should equal more people getting to hunt. How anybody could feel they were getting taken advantage of by having an increased chance to hunt sheep is beyond me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm with Joe, well said. They do it for all other species and it has worked well, why not sheep.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree more states need to throw in archery only sheep & goat tags. Being in the rifle tag pool makes it tough to draw one. At least some sdtates do have archery only hunting periods.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Many are missing the fact that in many units sheep and goat tags are so rare that only 1 tag is offered. Very rarely are there 10+ tags in a given unit. And for non-residents, few states have even a handful of tags set aside for nonresidents. Once you start divying up tags to rifle hunters, bow hunters, muzzleloader hunters, etc. it gets pretty tough. You are rarely hunting at the same time as other hunters. It isn't liked the bow hunter is having his sheep shot out from under him from 500 yards as he makes the stalk. And success rates for primitive weapons are generally nearly the same for these premier species.
    I've drawn more than 10 sheep, goat and moose tags in various states over many years. I've used several different weapon types by my own choice, and never needed a special tag type to use a primitive weapon. This is a bad idea that does nothing to further the speicies or the hunting expereince.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In my home state of Washington we too have so few tags between the units that it may not be in the archers best interest to ask for seperate drawing. Regardless, when my time comes to hunt sheep or goat I will do so with bow-in-hand! Love the chase!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    As was mentioned here, Colorado has sheep tags set aside for archery only. I am sitting with max points in Colorado, and have seriously considered applying for the archery hunt, but there is a darn good chance to go home without a ram and I will never be in the max point spot again. Though I do bow hunt, I am not a die hard bowhunter, and usually flex with the weapon I hunt with. Selfishly I wish there were more rifle sheep tags, then giving out archery only tags, but I have to agree, the harvest is much lower with a bow and can sustain more hunters afield. In one of the top units in Colorado (S-32) there are both rifle and archery tags. In the five years between 2005-2009 the success for rifle hunters averaged 85% success while the success for archery hunters averaged 25% success. That means you could put three times as many bowhunters on the unit and have the same harvest. Based on those statistics, if you had a unit that could sustain 4 rams harvested a year, you could give out 5 rifle tags, or 16 archery tags. What might make sense is a two season structure like in Unit 32 that has the bowhunters in first, followed by the rifle hunters. Just a thought.