Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This year I started shooting the Grim Reapers after many conversations from good friends of mine that have been shooting them for years. These guys have shot countless elk and god knows how many other animals with Reapers and they have always been impressed by them. I shot my antelope with one this year and the entrance wound looked like a rifle exit wound, I was sold right there. one of my good friends actually wanted to make his own broadhead and bring it to market, that idea forced him to do alot of testing into ballistic gelatin and he said the reaper won hands down against all other broadheads. Now i wasn't there when he did any of the testing but he has photos to prove it.

I think when it comes down to it though there are a couple of things to think about.
    1- are the blades SCARY sharp.
    2-Do they fly/tune out of your bow and
    3-Do you trust them.

Some guys just don't trust a mechanical on a big bodied animal like a elk where some guys have 100% confidence that a mechanical will put a elk down. For now I believe in my Grim Reapers and have faith that they will put a elk down if I do my part by making a good shot.

Just my 2 cents.
    Highcalibergear.com

We can help you cut your pack weight to get you farther back! Be sure to like us on Facebook to get website updates.

ultralighthunting.com

Blog that specializes in the ultralight hunter. Find gear reviews, hunting trip reports and tips on how to cut weight off of your pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I usually shot the muzzy mx3 for whitetail and never seemed to have much of a problem. They blew threw any deer in its path even when you hit the shoulder. This year i switched to the magnus stinger two blade with the bleeders and was very impressed. I shot a bull elk at 15 yards and due to hitting the opposite shoulder blade didnt get a pass through. But the elk only ran a total of 60 yards straight down hill with a perfect double lung shot. I will never shoot anything but the magnus stingers from now on. They fly perfect and give you cut on contact awesome penetration from any angle.

I am a sure believer that shot placement is everything especialy on an animal the size of an elk.
    Its the spirit of the wild.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The last elk I stuck was also with a Grim Reaper. There was no pass through due the GR solidly sticking into the opposite shoulder after breaking a rib on entry and passing through the both lungs. The Grim Reaper ended up with 1 broken blade and the carbon arrow in broken in half after the elk fell onto it. However, there was a good blood trail to where he piled up! He ended up only going 10 yards. Does anyone have comments on the G5 mechanical? I have been curious about them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I decided to try the G5 T3's this year. Shot a buck the opening weekend and got a complete pass through slightly quartering to me. Big entry and a big exit.Good blood trail. I was very happy with the new heads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You will get takers on both sides of this discussion. A lot of fixed shooters have taken the bait of mech's and had lost an animal they new would have died with a fixed blade BH. Those hunters are back to shooting fixed heads. Personally I feel that you will shoot mech's until you hit an animal quartering, hit a bone, or take a shot past 40 and don't get the outcome you probably could have gotten with a fixed head. After that you will switch to fixed blades and won't go back. I put in too much time, effort and money to have the one shot I could get all year at a deer, pig, bear, etc go bad because the mech I shoot decides to open early, open late, penetrate less, deflect off of a bone, etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JNDEER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is no thing as a repeatable real world test with broadheads and this makes proving mechanicals hard. Fall away rests have proven tried and true for many but the mechanical broadheads haven't given me the assurance I need. Just can't fully test mechanicals while practicing. Until then there are a ton of broadheads like thunderheads, montecs, stingers, etc. that have worked for a lot of people in a lot of situations. On a side note I took a really bad shot at 20y with a montec and it passed through a lot of elk with a ton of blood then a follow up shot at 30y that buried 3 inches in the opposite shoulder and a pile up 15y later.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have never shot an elk with the Rage broadheads but I've been using them for 4 years on deer (huge difference I get that) but the blood trails are great, the holes are incredible (you can usually put your fist through them) and unless you hit them right in the shoulder socket (I don't know any fixed blades and I have shot several that will go through the socket either) they blow through and keep on going. I have also shot the Grim Reapers and had a lot of success with them as well. Again though, never on elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have no experience with mechanical broadheads because I live in Idaho and they are not legal. That my be something to consider also, if you ever travel out of state and cannot use your mechanicals you will have to spend more time and money to get a set of fixed blades.
    Also I have only had go success with my fixed blade Muzzys..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Good point GameSlayer. Here in Oregon they are illegal as well. Regardless of their effectiveness I am just fine with it too as the anti-bowhunting group would just use any "new advancement" in technology as an excuse to shorten seasons. That is the main reason I have no interest in seeing them legalized.

Clearly from some of the feedback on here they can effectively kill elk but so can numerous fixed heads, there is no debate about that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Magnus snuffer SS, not sure on cutting surface compared to the montec, but the company and warranty is great. More importantly the cut-on-contact design of the snuffers work for years and years. The orginal Rothar Snuffers on my trad gear and the snuffer SS on my compound set up.