Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm a Montec guy. They have never failed me and I enjoy gaining confidence using their practice broadheads prior to and during archery season. I find that I need to make minor adjustments when moving from field points to broadheads for the season. From August thru October I just use the practice broadheads when going through my daily regimen. When that special moment comes, I know just what to expect. FIXED all the way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Years ago when I first started the archery world I went back and forth on this. Embarrassed to say this but I lost a lot of animals. Probably 1 in 3. To the point that the bow was put away on the 5th day of a 135 day season with 7 unfilled tags in my pocket. Archery was dead to me. During the off season during discussions this topic came up a lot, but I knew this wasn't the solution. There were too many factors, as you archers are aware of, too list here. But here is what has brought me back. Type of broadhead... Nothing to do with it. Be accurate. My bow was at 70 lbs. I dropped it down to 58. Always wait for the PERFECT shot and know that a lot of animals will walk away from you at 20 yards. Whatever range you are comfortable shooting at with targets, reduce in the field. Before I pull the trigger, the animal has to be hit with the range finder, I know this may be a little extreme, but this is what I feel is the ethical route because of my experience. Now in 3 years not a single animal has been lost, usually 3-4 down a year.
    So my opinion on broadheads... It doesn't matter. Accuracy, accuracy. find what you shoot well and know your effective range...in the field not your backyard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have shot thru (accidentally) both shoulders of a small bull elk with the titanium Atom on an Axis arrow. Arrow tipped a branch and went from being a perfect shot to center-punching the shoulder blade. My heart sank! But low and behold, the luminock was clearly indicating the nock was behind his front leg as he ran off. Found him piled up 70-yds away, and you could stick your index finger thru both shoulders.
    Obviously wasn't aiming at the shoulder, but I feel the Atom was the reason I found that elk. The titanium razor wire compresses when something compresses it hard enough, like bone, and then springs back open thru the flesh. Best part is, it behaves like a mechanical without being mechanical. For those who are tired of re-sighting every fall to shoot blades, and chewing up your targets like I am, the wires can't plane, and they come with an accuracy guarantee to fly exactly to the same spot as your fieldpoints. And they do for me. Only bad thing is, they are pricey, and I don't know if they are still being made.
    Just my experience, they are awesome for elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot the G5 Teken T3 for whitetails. I have nothing but good reports from them. Great blood trails and they fly just the same as my field points. I havent killed anything bigger than a 200# whitetail with them, so I cant comment on an animal the size of an elk. Hopefully I will be able to next year when I make it out west.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All broadhead's will work great with a well-placed shot. You want a broadhead that will perform on a marginal shot. That's why I shoot fixed heads.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great post Montana and thanks for the humility. Many of us, including me, have been in the same boat early in our archery careers.
    Every other year or so I introduce someone to archery hunting and I always stress, should a poundage that you are accurate and comfortable with. I lived in Boise for years and was always dissappointed in August when all sorts of new folks would show up at the range with new gear. Many struggled to pull their bows back smoothly and couldn't hold them. On person almost shot their foot doing this. For those of us that shot bows 20 years ago, with the new technology you don't have to shoot with the poundage you once used to. Several years ago I had a friend that drew 74lbs and I would get more penetration into the same targets at only 65. He has since bought a top end bow and now out penetrates me at 65lbs.

That being said I learned that it doesn't matter the broadhead or if you shoot $130 a dozen arrows or have the latest gear. You have to be comfortable and confident with your setup, have practiced lots, and know your limitations. At one time mechanicals became popular and I think it was when archery technology really started advancing. IMO I think many folks never learned to tune their bows to get accurate BH/FP flight out of fixed BH, so mechanicals have become increasingly popular. Shouldn't matter what you shoot as long as you can place the arrow where it needs to be and have tuned your setup well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    All broadhead's will work great with a well-placed shot. You want a broadhead that will perform on a marginal shot. That's why I shoot fixed heads.
    That is an excellent point, but let me add this. Fixed blade heads will perform better on marginal shots where bone is an issue. Most mechanical heads (assuming a significantly larger cutting diameter) will perform better on marginal soft-tissue shots, like too far back or too high. That being said, I prefer mechanicals strictly for the cutting diameter, and have never had an issue with penetration or deployment.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is anybody using the "Atom" http://www.arrowds.com/atom/atom.htm. Seems like a good option in theory, wondering how the field reports are for this radical new broadhead design.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 8750 View Post
    Is anybody using the "Atom" http://www.arrowds.com/atom/atom.htm. Seems like a good option in theory, wondering how the field reports are for this radical new broadhead design.
    Check NMBowhntr's post above.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    That is an excellent point, but let me add this. Fixed blade heads will perform better on marginal shots where bone is an issue. Most mechanical heads (assuming a significantly larger cutting diameter) will perform better on marginal soft-tissue shots, like too far back or too high. That being said, I prefer mechanicals strictly for the cutting diameter, and have never had an issue with penetration or deployment.
    Yes but a Fixed head will work great on soft tissue shots. Sure it's not as great as the larger diameter heads. It will definitly outperform a mechanical on a bone shot.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!