Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the only mechanical I'm sold on is the Rage 2 blade.

I would say Most fixed blades will do the job Most of the time.

I would say Most mechanicals will not.

to each their own, I'm surprised so many bowhunters are constantly changing their setups, I understand wanting to constantly improve but why chance what works? or why fix what's not broken?

I think most guys would be better off getting to know their "older" equipment precisely than every year trying a new broadhead etc...

I use to shoot muzzy's 3 blade 100gr, I now only shoot rage 2 blade, if I ever go back to a fixed broadhead I'll probably shoot what my dad only shoots from day 1 his whole bowhunting career, NAP razorbak 100gr, 2blade w/2 bleeder blades w/rotating technology cut on contact.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NMBowhntr View Post
    Have shot thru (accidentally) both shoulders of a small bull elk with the titanium Atom on an Axis arrow. Arrow tipped a branch and went from being a perfect shot to center-punching the shoulder blade. My heart sank! But low and behold, the luminock was clearly indicating the nock was behind his front leg as he ran off. Found him piled up 70-yds away, and you could stick your index finger thru both shoulders.
    Obviously wasn't aiming at the shoulder, but I feel the Atom was the reason I found that elk. The titanium razor wire compresses when something compresses it hard enough, like bone, and then springs back open thru the flesh. Best part is, it behaves like a mechanical without being mechanical. For those who are tired of re-sighting every fall to shoot blades, and chewing up your targets like I am, the wires can't plane, and they come with an accuracy guarantee to fly exactly to the same spot as your fieldpoints. And they do for me. Only bad thing is, they are pricey, and I don't know if they are still being made.
    Just my experience, they are awesome for elk.
    Wow, Awesome experience. Im glad to hear the Atom performed as it is marketed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the G5 montec and the strikers are good. Killed elk with both. I tried the G5 T3 mechanicals, they were always coming open in my quiver. I have been shooting the grim reaper mechanicals, they seem to do good on a target but have yet to shoot an animal with them. I like the montecs but the only down fall is they are fixed, no replacing blades. I think the strikers are the best G5 makes. Both times i killed with the G5's the blood trail was weak that is why i'm trying a mechanical. Bigger cutting area means more blood.... I hope...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=HuskyMusky;26892]the only mechanical I'm sold on is the Rage 2 blade.

I would say Most fixed blades will do the job Most of the time.

I would say Most mechanicals will not.

to each their own, I'm surprised so many bowhunters are constantly changing their setups, I understand wanting to constantly improve but why chance what works? or why fix what's not broken?

I think most guys would be better off getting to know their "older" equipment precisely than every year trying a new broadhead etc...

Comment : Most bow hunters and archery guys in general are natural born tinkerers, just like guys that reload and bass fishermen......thier always tweaking something to gain that "edge", i know........I'm guilty on all three counts !!!!!!
    Last edited by packer58; 05-14-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Brain Fart

Thanks
    Congratulations
    packer58 it is funny you say that. I tried a different broadhead 3 seasons in a row. I shot the NAP spitfires for one season and only had one blade deploy on a cow I shot. I now shoot Rocket Broadhead's Meet Seeker. I have killed a few different animals including elk and deer with them and they have performed flawlessly.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    What JNDeer said. I've shot and killed plenty of critters with mechanicals, but I had an experience where I am confident a compact fixed blade would have gotten the job done, but the mechanical fell to pieces. Yes, I could have made a better shot, but I will never shoot mechanicals again. Slick Tricks for me!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    the more things that can go wrong will go wrong.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yup, you got that right ivorytip!!!!

That's why I shoot Wac'em broadheads. The only thing that can go wrong with it,,, is me!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Killed several elk with rage 2 blades, complete pass throughs. I never use the same head twice though. One at 78 yards quatering still went through. I am sold, think about it, even a closed rage or mechanical is still only slightly smaller than some fixed blade like atoms for instance. This year I am going to try the wasp Z-forces, so far so good. Used to be avidly against mechanical, now I think there the only way to go on some game. If I was hunting say a buffalo, it would definatly be fixed just cause of the strength needed. I have guided over 75 succesful hunts on elk with a bow, and can tell you most if not all of the animals we lost was do to a poor shot placement not the broadhead. So in my theory I would rather shoot something that doesnt or needs very minimal tuning, and for me thats a mechanical head. Just my .02 Oh, i guess I forgot to metion it.. Yes, I did get the Red Carpet Treatment.. the farthest my elk have gone with a good shot with a rage was maybe 60 yrds... The one piled up at about 40yrds, and when he ran past me I literally got sprayed. Was devistating. I have also shot several with fixed, and have had blades brake off when the hit a rib, so would a mechanical. The last animal I shot with a fixed blade was a wasp bullet at 98 yrds. That elk went maybe 60-70yrds. They both work, I just like the bigger holes I guess, and the accuracy of a mechanical.
    Last edited by justinthedoc; 08-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a hard time using Rage on a whitetail but on a elk ..................nofrickn way!!!

Nice you are having luck with them but they have done good at times with whitetail and other times have broke and bent badly. That is on a thin skinned 250 pound animal not a thick skin 1000 pound "Bull"