Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here is what I believe to be the most thorough and accurate broadhead test out there. It is not biased and most heads were provided by the representing companies. There are some good mechanicals out there and some good fixed blades out there. There are also a lot in there that prove advertising can out sell engineering and the results speak for it. I will still stand by my stance that a good 3 or 4 blade fixed usually has quite a bit more cutting surface than any 2-blade mechanical can offer. Unless you get into cutting diameters over 2 1/2" with the mechanical, your not going to compete and you will almost 100 percent of the time deal with blade breakage at those extreme lengths. Won't exactly be slipping in between any bone with that kind of cutting diameter. Here are the results. If you have the time, look through the whole thread as it has a ton of info on multiple heads.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GV1pTWHc#gid=0
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Darktimber For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot two or three whitetails every year here in NC, always with fixed blades. I have used Muzzy, Rocky Mt. and Slick Tricks. I've never lost a deer and nearly every time they are down within 50-60 yards. Why fool around with something mechanical?

I know I'm talking deer, not elk but I doubt it would be any different. If you can hit any large animal in the lungs with enough energy to slice a 1" cut through both lungs, it should always be lethal. Just make sure your blades are razor sharp and you take good shots.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the spreadsheet, Darktimber. I had an older one and glad to see one for 2012.
    BTW, the Slick Tricks I am shooting now are the 1.25 inch.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great spreadsheet, I have seen it before. I shoot the phathead 100. .080 thick blades and it was over 20 inches in pentration tests. IF i was to shoot another head it would be a shuttle T, BUT I love that thick meaty blade of the phathead.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fix blade all the way, wac'ems are the best head ive shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i used a T3 this year and was suprised i didn't get a pass thru. the arrow got full penetration and all that was sticking out was the fletching on my side and the broadhead on the offside was sticking thru. both lungs and a short recovery
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If i were you i would use fixed blades, I personally do not trust mechanical broad heads. I think the Wac'em Triton is a tough, accurate, and dependable broad head. And would be a great choice to go after and elk with.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i agree with quiethunter. i don't think you could go wrong with either style. The technology today is insane and i think you'd be ok using either or. I personally shoot the grim reaper mechanical broadhead and absolutely love it! it works for me. i have punded deer with it and last year i was able to put it to the test on an elk down on the dutton and hit a quartering away bull at 57 yards. He only went about 100 yards before going down and allowing me to rest my hands on his rack. And i have to place the credit on my grim reaper! it's yet to fail me. But my friend i hunt with uses nothing but muzzy and they have yet to fail him too. so i believe its all with what you feel comfortable with and what works for you and your set up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    After some field testing and some penetration testing with the Ulmer Edge I would not be afraid to use it on elk! It is one of the best penetrating heads out there!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    After some field testing and some penetration testing with the Ulmer Edge I would not be afraid to use it on elk! It is one of the best penetrating heads out there!
    Yep, this is a great head but I am going to montecs for elk if I can tune them to my bow if I draw a elk tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather