Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I only have experience killing elk with two heads, both being fixed blades. Thunderheads are great, they leave mazzive wounds, lots of destruction, and lots of blood. However they fly like crap past about 40 yards. I switched to the montec G5s about a year ago after my dad lost a really nice 330" bull because of a thunderhead. IF YOU SHOOT AN EASTON AXIS OR FMJ WITH A THUNDERHEAD BUY AN ADAPTER RING. We didn't know about it, and the diameter of the shaft is small enough that you can lose your blades on a hard enough impact. The montecs are great heads. I shot a bull this year from 40 yards, complete passthrough enough that I never could find the arrow as it hit a rock and skipped when it came out the other side. The bloodtrail was great and he didn't go more then 40 yards.

People say mixed things about penetration with montecs, but here is my theory with why after watching some tests of arrows being shot in various targets. The heads are solid and they dont give. In several tests I have watched the blades on heads like thunderheads and muzzys sheer off, and the arrow creates a bullet hole but still penetrates a bit. The montecs retain the blades and leave a larger hole, but subsequently the arrow is slowed down more on the contact with very hard targets.

Bottom line is this, ive seen some really bad things happen with mechanicals, including the 2 blade rage that someone mentioned. Had a buddy shoot a rage and when impacted an elks rib it turned about 90 degrees and shot the arrow up through the chest cavity. Worked great that time but he said he would never shoot them again because it could have just as easily turned the other direction. All fixed blade heads of any quality will do the job, if you put them in the right spot. Todays bow have enough power, and all the heads worthy of being mentioned are sharp enough and strong enough to do everything you need if you stick one through both lungs and avoid large bones.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've only shot one elk and that was in AZ on a unit 9 tag. I shot it at 27 yards with a G5 Montec and it came out the other side of the elk after it went clean through a rib and landed 30 yards past it. The elk died within 70 yards of me.

The main reason I shoot them is due to how accurate they are for me and my bow. I've had some issues in the past getting good flight out of fixed broadheads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    all tho i havent ever killed a elk i haft to agree with quiet hunter, iv killed over 30 deer with rages and never once had one not perform amazingly, does the blades need re set at times when removed from quiver yes but never at full draw
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiethunter View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think there is a single, right answer for Fixed vs Mechanical. It really depends on what you are comfortable with and what works for you. Here is what is most important to me. 1. Accuracy. 2. Dependability 3. Penetration 4. Cutting (diameter etc.)
    That being said, I have had a hard time getting the accuracy from a fixed blade I get out of a mechanical. Even when I get a fixed blade to work "good enough", when I try shooting with bad form (sitting, weight on off foot, stance too open or closed, uphill, etc.) it gets much worse with a fixed blade. Bad form shooting is all to oftern part of hunting I find, but the mechanical blades seem to be much more forgiving in this area. Since Accuracy is my number one goal, I end up with a quiver full of mechanicals.
    With my second priority being dependability, I find I have to compromise with using a mechanical as who can argue that a fixed blade has nothing that can go wrong with it? I have found that if you take a little bit of care with the mechanicals, they will be dependable enough. I have never experienced some of the issues others have with mechanicals opening up prematurely or incorrectly (knocking on wood).
    Number three is penetration. In my mind, this is a compromise between penetration and cutting performance. I have read many studies in the area and it is documented that penetration goes down as the amount of cutting area goes up (makes sense). Other factors include arrow weight and tuning. All things being equal, I choose a two blade setup for the best penetration. I have a difficult time envisioning a circumstance where the extra slices from a three or four blade setup would help.
    Number 4 is cutting performance. Some may put this higher, but I find a sharp blade well placed will do the job no matter what diameter it is (within reason). I am not aiming for the edge of the lungs and hoping for a 2.5" cutting diameter for fudge factor, I am aiming for the middle and am fine with a 1" cutting diameter.

As mentioned earlier, I use mechanicals. I would absolutely change to a fixed if I could get the same kind of accuracy out the fixed with all else being equal. This means field point accuracy in all situations likely to be encountered during hunting. Some guys may be able to do this, but I am not there yet. By the same token, I would prefer someone uses a good mechanical they can hit with than a fixed blade flying randomly.

In the last two years I have hit three elk with mechanicals.
    One was recovered after a quarting away heart/lung shot with a blood highway a blind man could follow.
    On another I hit the shoulder bone and the broadhead broke off at the shaft. The arrow was found with about an inch of blood on it where the hit happened and the elk was not recovered. It is my opinion no broadhead would have remedied my bad shot (still not sure what went wrong).
    On another the elk essentially died in his tracks with a high lung shot where the bull was confused, did not know where to run and just stayed where he was. Broadhead performance was ideal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    My buddy and I were out in SD for archery mule deer this year, both of us had Rage broadheads. He stuck a big 5x5 square in the shoulder with his 2 blade chisel tip and it only went in far enough to get one lung. We ended up getting the deer about three miles away (thank goodness for open country or we would have lost him). The blades weren't bent up at all and there was a golf ball size hole in the shoulder where it went thought, but terrible penetration. The first mule deer I stuck with my bow was a double-lung and had no issues at all. Complete pass through and he only went about 50-60 yards. I shoot a rage 3-blade, but have not shot anything but deer with them. Completely satisfied with the broadheads on deer. Would I shoot mechanical at elk? Hopefully I'll have to make that decision soon! I know the 3 blade rage supposedly penetrates deeper, but I have not heard of anyone hitting anything larger than a mule deer with them. I'd be interested to see the difference between the 2 and 3 blade expandables in penetration.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)