Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 7 Posts

Savage Long Range Hunter

Looking at maybe picking one up in 300 wsm and was wondering what folks think of this gun? It has been awhile since I got a new gun and I need a cow elk and mule deer shootin machine good to 700ish yds as I sold my LR 7mm custom build to finance the wife's rifle. It seems that this gun likes the short mags better than the mags but I would be open to the 300wm as well.

Also I will put a 4-12 ish 40 mm scope on it and who would any of you guys recommend for a good gunsmith to get the bases and rings from as well as mount the scope properly? I would pay a few extra $ to buy the entire set up ( short of the scope) from the right gunsmith who can put it all together properly I just dont know who.

Dont have the $ for another custom build so thought this set up would work for my application. I do reload and plan to work up something that works in this rifle.

Thanks for any info and I am in Co but will and can ship a gun/scope to the right gunsmith.
    Last edited by ColoradoV; 04-15-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 12 Posts
    I was about to buy one myself but chose to go with the SMR Paladin in 300 Win Mag.

I have read a bunch about the Savage and there are a lot of mixed reviews. Don't get me wrong I really love my Savage 7mm WSM and have shot it well passed 700 yards at steel and have taken a lot of game with it.

A few of the reviews said that it's a 50-50 chance on the. Long range Hunter. You can get a good one that shoots just like a high dollar Military spec custom outfit or one that won't group under 3" and 300 yards.

I would have gone with the Savage but that turned me off.

Take a look at this thread, it might help checking out some other set ups.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...ht=Custom+semi
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 4 Posts
    I bought one in 300 wm and like it. I would get the closest model without the adjustable cheek piece though, that thing hangs on everything when you are climbing around the mountains.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have an older savage (pre accu-trigger) in 300 wsm and it shoots well. I would recommend the long range hunter. I wish they made it in 7wsm. In fact when my barrel is shot out it will become a 7wsm. I would mount a vortex viper HS-T 4-16 on it in Warne rings. Mount the scope, rings, and bases your self. There are two reasons I like savage rifles, 1. they shoot well, and 2. they are easy to re-barrel without the extra cost of a gunsmith.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    I bought one in 300 wm and like it. I would get the closest model without the adjustable cheek piece though, that thing hangs on everything when you are climbing around the mountains.
    I believe the cheek piece is removable with two "wing nuts"
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look on gun Broker. I bought a LRH that some dealer back east had savage build.
    They come with the accustock ,accutrigger and the brake.All in a camo stock like the predator without the dang cheekpeice.
    Mine is 6.5-284,,I think they made some in the 300's as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 3 Posts
    I have one in a 6.5-284 and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My son-in-law has one in .300WM it shoots great for a gun in its price range, his will average right at .5 MOA with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds or Sierra Game Kings either one.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks and keep the comments coming. Bob your son and law would not be looking to sell it would he ??

I would love a cooper or a custom but I already have a scope and was looking to get a lower price gun to fill in the gap for a bit. I do shoot out to 700 yds and longest one shot on a cow elk was 618yds. My local range is set up out to 1200 so I practice regularly at that distance. Kinda wanted a gun that could stretch its legs a bit. I would like to add a good shooting banger/beater gun to my safe that I also am not afraid to leave behind the seat in the truck..

Yea hard to decide if I should order one and see how it goes or save some more $ and get a cooper or custom.
    Last edited by ColoradoV; 04-18-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My brother has the savage hunter 11 i think is the model in 300 win mag. He loves it and it shoots really good groups at 200 yards

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk