Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Savage Long Range Hunter

Looking at maybe picking one up in 300 wsm and was wondering what folks think of this gun? It has been awhile since I got a new gun and I need a cow elk and mule deer shootin machine good to 700ish yds as I sold my LR 7mm custom build to finance the wife's rifle. It seems that this gun likes the short mags better than the mags but I would be open to the 300wm as well.

Also I will put a 4-12 ish 40 mm scope on it and who would any of you guys recommend for a good gunsmith to get the bases and rings from as well as mount the scope properly? I would pay a few extra $ to buy the entire set up ( short of the scope) from the right gunsmith who can put it all together properly I just dont know who.

Dont have the $ for another custom build so thought this set up would work for my application. I do reload and plan to work up something that works in this rifle.

Thanks for any info and I am in Co but will and can ship a gun/scope to the right gunsmith.
    Last edited by ColoradoV; 04-15-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I was about to buy one myself but chose to go with the SMR Paladin in 300 Win Mag.

I have read a bunch about the Savage and there are a lot of mixed reviews. Don't get me wrong I really love my Savage 7mm WSM and have shot it well passed 700 yards at steel and have taken a lot of game with it.

A few of the reviews said that it's a 50-50 chance on the. Long range Hunter. You can get a good one that shoots just like a high dollar Military spec custom outfit or one that won't group under 3" and 300 yards.

I would have gone with the Savage but that turned me off.

Take a look at this thread, it might help checking out some other set ups.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...ht=Custom+semi
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought one in 300 wm and like it. I would get the closest model without the adjustable cheek piece though, that thing hangs on everything when you are climbing around the mountains.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have an older savage (pre accu-trigger) in 300 wsm and it shoots well. I would recommend the long range hunter. I wish they made it in 7wsm. In fact when my barrel is shot out it will become a 7wsm. I would mount a vortex viper HS-T 4-16 on it in Warne rings. Mount the scope, rings, and bases your self. There are two reasons I like savage rifles, 1. they shoot well, and 2. they are easy to re-barrel without the extra cost of a gunsmith.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    I bought one in 300 wm and like it. I would get the closest model without the adjustable cheek piece though, that thing hangs on everything when you are climbing around the mountains.
    I believe the cheek piece is removable with two "wing nuts"
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look on gun Broker. I bought a LRH that some dealer back east had savage build.
    They come with the accustock ,accutrigger and the brake.All in a camo stock like the predator without the dang cheekpeice.
    Mine is 6.5-284,,I think they made some in the 300's as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have one in a 6.5-284 and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My son-in-law has one in .300WM it shoots great for a gun in its price range, his will average right at .5 MOA with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds or Sierra Game Kings either one.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks and keep the comments coming. Bob your son and law would not be looking to sell it would he ??

I would love a cooper or a custom but I already have a scope and was looking to get a lower price gun to fill in the gap for a bit. I do shoot out to 700 yds and longest one shot on a cow elk was 618yds. My local range is set up out to 1200 so I practice regularly at that distance. Kinda wanted a gun that could stretch its legs a bit. I would like to add a good shooting banger/beater gun to my safe that I also am not afraid to leave behind the seat in the truck..

Yea hard to decide if I should order one and see how it goes or save some more $ and get a cooper or custom.
    Last edited by ColoradoV; 04-18-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My brother has the savage hunter 11 i think is the model in 300 win mag. He loves it and it shoots really good groups at 200 yards

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk