Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bear spray only. I honestly believe that few hunters could effectively draw, aim and shoot quickly and accurately enough to stop a charging bear. A blast of bear spray, even from two feet away, will cause any bear to change it's mind real quick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 3 Posts
    trkytrack2 youre right, if you look at some stats its surprisingly much more effective than a gun

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    bear spray for bears, and .40 s&w for everything else. more worried about the 2 legged ones, than the 4 legged ones.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am on the bear spray team, too. I am not an expert, but the national park rangers and game wardens and everyone I have heard talk about it say to go with the bear spray. 307 has a good caution, though. One time I thought I should test out the bear spray. I made sure I was upwind of the spray, but wasn't watching my kid so close. He got a little bit of blowback. Just enough to make his eyes water a little, but he always seems to tell that story.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    .40 Baretta 8040 Cougar.
    I've thought about getting a .410/.45 Judge.

I'm not on the bear spray bandwagon. If I hunted in Grizzly/Brown Bear country I might be.
    I have seen how long a human can keep hurting you after sprayed and how they usually curl up after 5-10 seconds after a good spray. That is with a spray that is designed to incapacitate rather than irritate.
    There is lot of misinformation out there but it sure seems that bear spray is less hot than human spray. (concentration OC)
    Obviously you get a heck of a lot more range and volume with a canister of bear spray.

I am a big believer in muscle memory and drawing a sidearm comes a lot more naturally to me than pulling a spray can from my belt.
    I guess if I were hunting in Grizz country I'd carry both but in a true charge I'm burning powder with the first one in the ground if there is time.

Anyone actually sprayed a bear or have good knowledge ???
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    I am on the bear spray team, too. I am not an expert, but the national park rangers and game wardens and everyone I have heard talk about it say to go with the bear spray. 307 has a good caution, though. One time I thought I should test out the bear spray. I made sure I was upwind of the spray, but wasn't watching my kid so close. He got a little bit of blowback. Just enough to make his eyes water a little, but he always seems to tell that story.
    HA.... I emptied a human defense canister of OC spray down the bathroom sink once because it said not to throw it in the trash.
    I had a mask and goggles and the window open.
    Should have told the Mother-in-Law who decided to wash her face later that evening....
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/...ar%20spray.pdf

This is pretty much what I have been told in the bear aware things I have gone to. Kiddwinner from Cody has a lot of local knowledge I would say.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bear...-safety-expert

There are two sides to everything as usual. For me personally the choice is pretty simple because I am terrible with a handgun. My dad was an instructor at the police academy, but I haven't shot for so long I am not sure I could hit the broad side of a barn. So I am in the category of not being skilled enough to count of them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would carry both in Grizz country. That being said, bear spray sucks when it's windy at all. A guide I know in Alaska simply says it adds some flavor to the food before the bear eats ya...

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    I carry a .44 mag super red hawk with a 4" barrel at all times when guiding in NW wyoming wilderness. . I always carry bear spray to give to my guests on summer trips; and we wrap our hunting camp in 3 strand electric fence that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on..I have had a good friend empty a full can of spray on a charging Griz three times before he had to shoot her with his .45-.70 3 more separate charges and she died 10 feet from his feet. . Spray doesn't deter a hungry Griz, just adds taste to the air. I wouldn't leave camp without my Pistol in Griz country. Ive seen them run through the stuff like its no big deal. Just my personal thoughts from my own close encounters each year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    I carry a .44 mag super red hawk with a 4" barrel at all times when guiding in NW wyoming wilderness. . I always carry bear spray to give to my guests on summer trips; and we wrap our hunting camp in 3 strand electric fence that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on..I have had a good friend empty a full can of spray on a charging Griz three times before he had to shoot her with his .45-.70 3 more separate charges and she died 10 feet from his feet. . Spray doesn't deter a hungry Griz, just adds taste to the air. I wouldn't leave camp without my Pistol in Griz country. Ive seen them run through the stuff like its no big deal. Just my personal thoughts from my own close encounters each year.
    When I hunted in your part of Wyoming , I carried both. I'm very proficient with a handgun (I'm a NRA Pistol instructor) and am confident I can hit what I am shooting at very well. Our outfitter required all hunters to have bear spray, he said it was a FS requirement in a wilderness area with grizzlies (not sure how true that was!) . I do know we had several encounters with them and my guide carried a .44 mag and I had a S&W .50 and spray. Luckily we did not need to use them. Our camp was surrounded with electric fence and there were 3 or 4 camp dogs. One night the dogs really started raising a fuss and at breakfast they said we had been visited by a bear .
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley