Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Guaranteed Outfitter License

Just wondering what folks think about doing away with guaranteed outfitter licenses? I am not an outfitter, but I think the outfitters should have their 5,000. We may see more out of staters on public lands,and more private land owners will restrict hunting on their property because of this. This will also have residual effects on many small business related to the industry. I think the outfitter codes and rules need changed, but I don't agree with this change. Tell me why I am wrong! Yes, this law passed as an initiative
    Last edited by packer; 02-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    Already happened. Bill I161 passed and thus discarded all guaranteed outfitter tags in Montana. Then FWP also raised the price on all non-resident tags. It is definitely a big debate right now. Idaho raised there prices on non-resident tags, then proceeded to lose millions of dollars the following year due to it.. will be interesting to see what happens, but personally I believe I161 was a terrible bill and its unfortunate it passed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a fealing that the same thing that happened in Idaho will happen in Montana. Only time will tell.
    Brian
    Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
    www.blueskieshunting.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with you Packer. I think this will put more poeple on public and block management. In the next few years I think this will cuase the quality of the animals to go down. Why I think this is most non res. will go down hunt for a week, and most of those who do not find a big buck will shoot a small four point the last day they have to hunt. Pretty soon there will be fewer bucks that make it to 4 or 5 years old.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree this will put more people on public land, but some of the outfitters were getting carried away leasing up land and locking of property that had been open to the public for years. I feel that at least in the very limited draw areas the outfitters should not have been allowed guarenteed tags when the general public was only reciving less than 25 bull elk permits already.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It will definitely make things interesting. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It was a terrible bill. Anyone that thought this would put private lands into block management was mistaken. If the guides can't afford the leases, the hunters that can afford those leases will pick them up whether they are in state or out of state. Instead of non residents coming out for a week hunt with an outfitter they may be able to afford to stay for weeks crowding public lands. Jacking the prices up for non resident tags and taking away guaranteed tags from small business owners was a bad idea.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    but some of the outfitters were getting carried away leasing up land and locking of property that had been open to the public for years. I feel that at least in the very limited draw areas the outfitters should not have been allowed guarenteed tags when the general public was only reciving less than 25 bull elk permits already.
    I agree, i am only 23 years old an i have seen this happen. The open public-land where I began my love of mule deer was acquired by cabelas, and quickly closed forever. Very saddening.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 2 Posts
    I voted FOR I-161. The real reason behind this initiative is to curb the privatization of our wildlife. With a guaranteed client base, the outfitters were able to lease property from landowners for a higher price than the Block Management program could offer. For those who don't know, BM compensates landowners who open their land to the PUBLIC for hunting. BM funding comes from a variety of sources, including non-resident license sales. Plain and simple, BM couldn't compete with outfitters, therefore increasing tracts of land were being closed to the public that had for years been open. Beyond just the land and access issues, the underlying problem lies in the fact that too many outfitters are simply trying to build their businesses ($$$) with little regard to the ethics of hunting. As more land is closed, more hunters flock to public land, depleting those areas of any trophy potential. Outfitters then step in and basically sell the trophies on their properties to the highest bidder. It's the law of supply and demand. When the reason for hunting shifts from a tradition or passion to a business, which this law helps to slow down, many of us DIY, public-land hunters are gonna be out of a lifestyle.
    I recognized long ago that if I have a warehouse full of guns, but no public land or public wildlife, I have nothing!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some of the large property owners are getting around the guide issue by charging a trespass fee to hunt on their property. I know of some these fees costing $4,000 and more. Maybe cut the number of guaranteed licenses in half. No matter what it looks like the native hunter is going to be the loser.