Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Hunting clothing for spot and stalk and still hunting

Hey everyone I am in the market for some new hunting clothing since we are headed to Colorado for late season elk. In my research I have found that most of the marketing for hunting clothes is directed toward the whitetail hunter hunting from a stand, which understandable because there a lot of these guys out there. So that being said what info can you guys give me in making my decision on a layering system that I can use in all conditions for still hunting and spot and stalk in the snow or in early season hunts. .

thanks!!!

Thanks
    Core 4 Element, Russel APXG2, Sitka, Kuiu. That should give you a start on research.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Take a look at first lite wool. That is a great base layer.

Thanks
    cabelas microtex works really good and is not that expensive. I did have to add some belt loops on the pants. but great stuff for not alot of money.

Thanks
    It is hard to go wrong with the Sitka stuff. Just make sure to try it on, sizing can be kind of weird. I have an early 90% jacket, before they started using the really thin material, and it is my favorite piece of hunting clothing.

Thanks
    I'll second the Core 4 Element. Used it in Nevada and was very comfortable and very impressed.

Thanks
    Baselayer- Use merino wool. Smartwool, icebreaker, firstlite. All good companies and all make a good product. Merino is not the wool that your dad used to wear deer hunting. No itch, great wicking properties and keeps you warm when wet. Merino also has great anti-stink properties.
    Pants/Jacket-Sitka, Kuiu are going to be my 2 recommendations. They are quality products with a price to go along with it by just like anything you are going to get what you pay for.
    Highcalibergear.com

We can help you cut your pack weight to get you farther back! Be sure to like us on Facebook to get website updates.

ultralighthunting.com

Blog that specializes in the ultralight hunter. Find gear reviews, hunting trip reports and tips on how to cut weight off of your pack.

Thanks
    I totally agree with MT backcountry. I've been using Smartwool for awhile. Have tops and bottom insulated underwear. I love this stuff. Its ability to mask odor and control moisture is remarkable. I actually just bought 3 pair of socks just for my running shoes. Also i just ordered my Sitka system as well. Cant wait for it to get here. I went with the 90% pant and Jetstream jacket along with Traverse tops and bottoms. Excited to field test these products in Missouri on rut hunt at the beginning of next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT backcountry hunter View Post
    Baselayer- Use merino wool. Smartwool, icebreaker, firstlite. All good companies and all make a good product. Merino is not the wool that your dad used to wear deer hunting. No itch, great wicking properties and keeps you warm when wet. Merino also has great anti-stink properties.
    Pants/Jacket-Sitka, Kuiu are going to be my 2 recommendations. They are quality products with a price to go along with it by just like anything you are going to get what you pay for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthoek21 View Post
    Excited to field test these products in Missouri on rut hunt at the beginning of next month.
    What part of Missouri are you headed to Matt? It's been really warm here in North Central Missouri, and the bucks have not been active.. That should start changing in the next 2 weeks. You'll like the Sitka stuff if it doesnt get too cold, I've found its at its best on the really windy days.

Good luck here in Missouri, will you be bow hunting or gun?

Thanks
    Heading to Gilman City in Harrison Co. just up 35 before you get to Iowa for our annual bow hunt. We hunt a buddy of mines farm up there. We love that trip. We will be there from Nov.2nd thru the 8th. Hope it does start cooling down soon. I am anxious to try my new Sitka Jetstream jacket. I ordered the traverse tops and bottoms because I was told it is warmer than Coldgear from UA without the tight fit. Hope with the layering this will be perfect for up there this time of year.