Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Salida area anyone? No point restrictions?

I am a resident of CO and have a place in Salida to stay. So my next question is how is the hunting around there? I know the areas around Leadville and Salida don't have point restrictions so that really makes me wonder about the quality and quantity of bulls. What effects does no point restriction, but all limited seasons have on the quality of bulls?

Thanks
    Not knowing what UNIT you're interested in limits the discussion on quality, but - in general - none of the limited draw units in the State for elk have point restrictions. By limiting the number of hunters in the unit, the CDOW doesn't have to worry about OVER harvest of bulls, so more bulls survive than get harvested, meaning a more mature and diverse age structure in the bull population. In that case, the CDOW isn't worried about someone burning 3, 5, 10, 20 Preference Points and then shooting a spike or 3x3. ...most people aren't going to burn points to shoot a small bull, and even if the hunters did, it wouldn't mess up the age structure of the population.

If you're looking at a LIMITED unit, in general, you should have no problem finding branch-antlered bulls of decent size.

Chris Roe
    Certified Wildlife Biologist
    Roe Hunting Resources
    www.roehuntingresources.com
    Roe Ecological Services, LLC
    Prostaff - Primos Hunting Calls
    Prostaff - PSE Archery

Thanks
    Im just wondering, is there some sort of "catch" for CO elk units that only need 1 or 2 points to draw? Some of these green chip units have good access and good success rates. It seems to me like it would be WAY better to plan on hunting one of those units every 2 or 3 years, rather than deal with the OTC units and lots of hunters. I was looking at units like 48, 500, 501 or 57 in the 1st rifle season. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    I'd also be curious what people have to say about the above units(48, 57/58, 501) as far as numbers of elk. Quality as well.
    The 57 unit in particular, which is closest to Salida as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Im just wondering, is there some sort of "catch" for CO elk units that only need 1 or 2 points to draw? Some of these green chip units have good access and good success rates. It seems to me like it would be WAY better to plan on hunting one of those units every 2 or 3 years, rather than deal with the OTC units and lots of hunters. I was looking at units like 48, 500, 501 or 57 in the 1st rifle season. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I can't comment on the particular units you're referencing, I hunt a different area in CO but I think you're asking the right question and the answer is up to you. Not about units but about hunt expectations and quality. Personally after saving up a bunch of points and using them this past season, my thought is that it is better to go into the limited units and have a quality (maybe not the best unit ever) hunt every year or so. The nice thing, is you can also hunt OTC in the off years and continue to build your knowledge of the area, etc. There are so many great areas in CO with access, don't get too hung up in record book bulls. They're everywhere if you're willing to get back and work for them. But that's a whole different thread...what does each person consider a "quality bull". Again for me, if it's branch antlered and the hunt was a good one, I'm happy. Good luck to you.

Thanks
    I grew up in Salida and hunted there for many years. It used to be great. The local game warden has destroyed area 56, I hunted it successfully for 18+ years and finally gave up 3 years ago. The number of elk licenses issued in unit 56 is absolutely absurd, you'll notice you can sometimes draw a 1st season rifle bull tag on a second choice--there is a reason---the few elk that are left in the unit all reside on private property. Nobody wants the tags! It's so bad I gave up even with access to a good chunk of the private property they hang out on!
    Area 57 holds good bulls and a good number of elk, but making your way around the private property can be a real challenge.

Thanks
    Is the amount of private land enough to make a guy look elsewhere? Or would you suggest this hunt?

Thanks
    There is a lot of public ground as well. The problem is it can get really "patchy". I know people who hunt it, but they all have access to the private. I've never hunted it because of the stress that comes with staying off the private land. If your confident with your ability to navigate around the private with a map or gps you could make a good hunt of it. When you look at a map you'll see a lot of public ground---depending on the season there may or may not be elk on it. Hope this helps, I'm definately no expert on the unit, but maybe this can get you pointed in a direction at least.

Thanks
    jjh i pm'd you if you get some time...

Thanks
    The area around Salida and Buena Vista hold alot of big bulls, a Trophy Unit, if you know how to hunt the Collegiate Peaks. Come out a few days early to scout with good optics, you have to find them to hunt them. The southern end of Chaffee county has more roads, the north end has more wilderness for the foot hunter. Early hunting they are above timberline, late hunting snows bring them down to the valley floor into the private land. I have lived in Chaffee county for around 20 years.