Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Bullet for antelope

I just got back from a wyoming antelope hunt and did well but the 110gr accubonds I used in my 25.06 tore them up pretty good. Do you guys know a bullet that might work as well without the damage. I am not sure but I think my buddy was using sierra's in the 110gr and they seemed to be less damaging but Im looking for ideas.

Thanks
    I'm surprised that the accubonds tore them up. How was your shot placements? Sierra doesn't make a 110 for .257 but they make 100, 117, and 120 gr. plus some smaller ones. I have used quite a few different loads for antelope and none didn't really seem to do a lot of damage. It seems I usually ruin one front shoulder, but my favorite meat is the back straps and hind quarters anyways. My favorite is 100 gr. nosler ballistic tips in the 25-06. Maybe the sierra bullet he was shooting held together better, and maybe they were flying a little slower? I would think a slower bullet wouldn't do as much damage? I wonder if a solid copper bullet would work well where it might just poke a hole through the animal.

Thanks
    I've settled on on load and one bullet for antelope and deer for my 25-05. I use a 117 gr Sierra GameKing Boat tail.Shoots well and makes it really simple for me. One bullet, one load for both. Normally one shot kills and not much damage to the meat, of course it all depends on bullet placement.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Those sierra's are good bullets and that is a good load, I've used them a few times. I've settled in on the 100 gr. noslers cause they shot the best out of my rifle and they are fast and flat. Some people think they might be a little light for deer, but I popped a muley right at 400 yds. last year with it and he went nowhere.

Thanks
    If you're looking for less hide damage, look at the Barnes' line of bullets. The tsx and ttsx might be what you are looking for.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Elkoholic is correct....try the Barnes TTSX for your 25.06, they work great. And retain almost 100% of their
    weight..when recovered. They most certainly don't blow-up like Noslers BT's sometimes do when close to
    mid range shots are taken. I use Barnes X's in my .06 and my .375 and have for years...no complaints.

Thanks
    I agree with the Barnes TTSX recommendations. Excellent bullets. I killed my speed goat this year with a 140 TTSX out of a 7-08. DRT with virtually no meat loss.

Thanks
    You should not have had major issues with the 110 gr. Accubond, but any shoulder or bone hit on an antelope can result in a lot of meat damage. I really like to place my bullet just behind the shoulder in the heart lung area. If that did not seem to work, try the 115 or 120 gr. Partitions, whichever your rifle likes best. I shoot the 120 Partition in my wife's 25-06. It works great.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    We killed 2 goats this fall with 130 grain TTSX chambered in .270. The bullets did excellent, causing no meat damage. We shot them in the ribs though, just about any bullet out of a rifle is going to destroy a quarter if you hit them in the shoulders.

I'm pretty stoked to try the TTSX on deer, as they dropped our antelope in their tracks.

Thanks
    I shoot 115 grain Barnes' X out of my .257 wby. Shot a goat in 2009 with it. Great round. Very little dammage. But for the record if you shoot an animal in the shoulder with one you will most likely loose at leat one quarter if not both.