Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 36 cow hunt. End of November, 2011

Hi everyone,
    First time posting. I just got my son (12) a youth encouragement cow hunt for unit 36. It will be just the 2 of us the end of November. First time hunting in this unit. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to decide between camping or cabin. We also have the option of using our horses. Hard to make decisions without knowing the area. Will be going up before hand once I get some starting points. Any help would sure be appreciated. Also open to meeting someone before hand and hiring them to show me around a bit before the hunt.
    Thank you,
    Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Mark..I've elk hunted the bighorn mountains my whole hunting life. That said ive only ever hunted in 36 a couple times. If your not coming until the end of November most of the elk are going to be on private ranches at the base of the bighorns. I'd call the Wyoming Game and Fish tomorrow and ask them for a list of ranchers that allow access to hunt cows. I would then call each and every one and let them know you have a 12y/o who really wants to hunt an elk. Its been my expierence that the ranchers seem to cater to the kids a little better and good for them. While talking to the game and fish ask them for any additional tips. If you are looking for someone to show you around I'd be happy to try and help. I dont want any money. I will also say that i dont know area 36 taht well but have friends who hunt it. Let me know what your plans are and maybe we can get together.

Jason

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkcrazedfrk View Post
    Hey Mark..I've elk hunted the bighorn mountains my whole hunting life. That said ive only ever hunted in 36 a couple times. If your not coming until the end of November most of the elk are going to be on private ranches at the base of the bighorns. I'd call the Wyoming Game and Fish tomorrow and ask them for a list of ranchers that allow access to hunt cows. I would then call each and every one and let them know you have a 12y/o who really wants to hunt an elk. Its been my expierence that the ranchers seem to cater to the kids a little better and good for them. While talking to the game and fish ask them for any additional tips. If you are looking for someone to show you around I'd be happy to try and help. I dont want any money. I will also say that i dont know area 36 taht well but have friends who hunt it. Let me know what your plans are and maybe we can get together.

Jason
    Jason, I feel like since we are best friends for life, I can tell you this.. hahaha..
    Judging by him posting in the New Mexico threads, I dont think any information on unit 36 here in Wyoming would help him.. Just my thoughts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    bakkaman, PM sent. I can fix you up, have hunted unit 36 in New Mexico many, many times. I live less than 2 hours from that unit. In fact, I have a bull tag for unit 36 that starts on Oct. 29th
    Last edited by c-ne-elk; 10-19-2011 at 10:19 AM.