Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    For the past 6 years I have been shooting a 300 WSM exclusively for big game hunting. I love mine! It has a titanium Remington action, a graphite wrapped bull barrel and weighs in at only 6.5 pounds scoped. It is ported and has a very light kick, in fact my wife has taken three animals with it. It is loud though with the porting...lol.

Here's my thought on the comparison between the two:

Ballistics: Nearly identical. There is not enough difference to decide on that factor. Both are plenty of gun for virtually any big game in North America. Since both are 30 caliber there is a wide range of bullets available for game from big bears to antelope. I personally shoot 165 grain bullets for everything from antelope to elk.

Recoil: I actually believe the WSM has lower recoil. My understanding is the WSM gets equivalent ballistics with about 10% powder due to a more efficient burn of the powder in the fatter case.

Capacity: Yes, the fatter cases may very well reduce you by one cartridge. Check the actual gun you are looking at for that factor.

Availability: I like to know my load and carry plenty of ammo where ever I am hunting. Great ammo with premium bullets is available for either one, from the big online hunting stores, or load your own.

Action: Short action with the WSM, give you some weight savings. I chose to WSM for the short action.

Accuracy: My 300 WSM will shoot 0.5" to 0.6" groups (at 100 yards) all day long, even with premium factory ammo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the input everyone, I went with the 300 Win Mag. Remington 700 SPS Stainless. Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40mm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You won't be disappointed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    You won't be disappointed.
    I would have to agree. I don't think either would be a bad choice though. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by schoff View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone, I went with the 300 Win Mag. Remington 700 SPS Stainless. Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40mm
    Very nice setup. You are getting a lot of bang for your buck with that setup. I don't know what mounts you selected, but I really like Talley Lightweight One-Piece mounts.

http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-A...unt-P2834.aspx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot, I went with the Leupold Standard 2pc bases on my setup, but thanks for the link to the Talleys they look like good bases.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Do you find advantages in two piece bases? Curiosity. I have always been a one piece guy myself due to the fact it is one solid piece. I also dremel my action and bottom of base and epoxy them together. I guess one advantage would be more room for shell insertion and extraction.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Do you find advantages in two piece bases? Curiosity. I have always been a one piece guy myself due to the fact it is one solid piece. I also dremel my action and bottom of base and epoxy them together. I guess one advantage would be more room for shell insertion and extraction.
    Mainly for the reason you stated more room for getting rounds in the gun. It does make cleaning the top of the action a little easier as well.