Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Kansas Mule Deer

I got caught hunting crossover country in Kansas without the $50 dollar upgrade to any species on my KS NR tag. That is a mistake I shall not make again.

This could have been my first mule deer with a bow. I stalked to within 30 yards of him for photos. More at the link.

http://greathuntingstories.com/Journ...try_Day_5.aspx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7677CRP.jpg  
    Owner/writer www.greathuntingstories.com
    We all have Great Hunting Stories to share!

Thanks
    That Sucks!!!

Thanks
    That's a big $50 mistake!

Thanks
    chances are you wouldn't have seen that guy if you would have had the tag, that sucks though. happens to me all the time, when hunting deer all i see are elk and vice versa! any luck?

Thanks
    Yeah, Jay, I had a guy that lives in that area say something similar. He said, "Always get the multi-species tag when you come out here to hunt. That way you'll make sure you never see another mule deer." Pretty funny sentiment.

I'll be sure and pick up the tag next year and try that open country again. One of the most fun hunts I've experienced, which I shared in those journals. But I went home empty handed.

Thursday morning I head to southern Iowa to chase their whitetails. With some early success there, I will return to Kansas.

Thanks
    good luck in iowa, post some pics!

Thanks
    It's not really "western", but I'll post some stuff if I can figure an appropriate place for it here. Or my daily journal can be followed on my site's journal page.

http://greathuntingstories.com/Journ...Rut_Day_1.aspx
    Last edited by JeremyBatey; 11-03-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks
    I made that same mistake in 2008, but the mule deer stamp was $100, back then.

Thanks
    My brother and I have a rule that when we go on hunting trips we go "all in" for tags. Hunt every animal available, you've already invested "x" number of dollars, don't put yourself on a tag budget. Example, you already are in for around $2,000-3,000 on a hunt (1 species tag, gas, lodging, food, etc). Why wouldn't you spend the extra $300 or so for another species?

In 2010 four of us went to Colorado on an elk hunt 3rd season. Deer tags were available, and I was the only one to purchase. The other three guys somewhat ripped me for even trying. However, I told them that area has a history of producing nice bucks, the rut may go, and we are driving 1500 miles anyway. I wanted to be in the game. The pre-rut was well under way once we got there, and we were seeing a bunch of 4x4 bucks. I tagged an elk day one, then I took a 5x6 mule deer on day 3. Maybe the mule deer of a lifetime. That tag increased the cost of my hunt by about 10%, well worth it.

I guess the message is maximize your opportunity on every trip, you already have fixed costs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsendero View Post
    My brother and I have a rule that when we go on hunting trips we go "all in" for tags. Hunt every animal available, you've already invested "x" number of dollars, don't put yourself on a tag budget. Example, you already are in for around $2,000-3,000 on a hunt (1 species tag, gas, lodging, food, etc). Why wouldn't you spend the extra $300 or so for another species?

In 2010 four of us went to Colorado on an elk hunt 3rd season. Deer tags were available, and I was the only one to purchase. The other three guys somewhat ripped me for even trying. However, I told them that area has a history of producing nice bucks, the rut may go, and we are driving 1500 miles anyway. I wanted to be in the game. The pre-rut was well under way once we got there, and we were seeing a bunch of 4x4 bucks. I tagged an elk day one, then I took a 5x6 mule deer on day 3. Maybe the mule deer of a lifetime. That tag increased the cost of my hunt by about 10%, well worth it.

I guess the message is maximize your opportunity on every trip, you already have fixed costs.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.