Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rut Activity

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Rut Activity

Hows the rut activity where you live? I watched a buck today while at work, that had his nose so far up a doe, he didn't even know we were there. It's starting here in Utah. Can't wait to get out with my bow next weekend on the front!
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Passed 2 forkys tonite with does, but the does werent having any of it. First snow hit where ive been hunting and it really had the deer moving. Still no big bucks to be found, hoping its only a matter of time im going broke huning everyday haha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just talked to a friend in Missoula, he saw a big forky with his nose in a doe. I was out this morning near Bozeman and there were definitely deer moving around, but I didn't see any rutting activity. It will only get better from here on out! I live for this time of year
    Hunt hard, and trust your instincts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Muley View Post
    It will only get better from here on out! I live for this time of year
    id be saying the same as you MT muley if I would have shot an elk like you did during archery season lol Im trying to juggle both deer and elk hunting since I didnt fill any during archery but its not being too effective at the moment. Im debating on cutting my losses and focusing on deer only in hopes of getting a nice buck since ive had minimal success with those dam elk lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The young bucks have been chasing tail like crazy the last couple days. I'm getting antsy for the big boys to show up.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Went out last night and saw 6 bucks in the last hour of light, 3 of which were the nicest ones ive seen on this particular piece of block management since archery opened. Only one of them was really doggin some does tho, only a matter of time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yesterday morning about 6:30 there were about 25 deer feeding on my lawn and the edge of my hay field that was not cut. Most I've seen at once this fall. There was still a little snow on the ground from Saturday/Sunday storm. They really feed long & heavy after a storm. They seem to stay bedded down in cover during the storms and are really hungry after it passes. There were 5 small bucks (all forkies) with them. They were sparring with each other and nosing the does, who were having none of it yet. Look for a big boy or 2 to show up any day. There is a big apple orchard about 1/2 mile away with lots of deer there too. There was one 4x4 probably in the 160-70 range with them. He disappeared about a week ago....probably in someones freezer now!

My apple orchard got slammed during a late spring freeze and has no apples, so the deer there are few and far between. One more deer season to go, starts the 16th of November. Hard to draw a tag, as it's really in demand because of how late it is and usually during the start of the rut. Usually lots of the big boys show up and offer a great opportunity to pick & choose.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-08-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was out this morning, it was a lot warmer today then the previous few. Saw a couple different groups of does, but no bucks with them. I'm pretty disappointed in the amount of deer I am seeing in the area I am hunting. Need another cold snap soon!
    Hunt hard, and trust your instincts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    I get to watch about sixty head of mule deer daily this time of year. Up until yesterday it was just the small 2x2 and 3x3 spindly horn bucks. But yesterday morning I had a mature Muley buck show up in one of my fields. I got a good look at him as we were eating breakfast. He is maybe 4 or 5 years old. He is definitely interested in the ladies but I guess you would say that he exhibits more poise. He isn't chasing hard. A lot of lip curling. He was here this morning and this evening. I will try and get a pic tomorrow. He reminds of the story of the young buck and the old buck having a conversation. The young buck says let's run down.... The old buck says no let's walk down and.... U no the rest of the story. But it was clearly evident in his behavior the story has some merit

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in the bitterroot valley of montana and yesterday was the first buck ive seen in a long time and it was only a 2x2 not really much in the activity department going on it seems like or maybe I just stink. Its been tough hunting this year I wont settle for tag soup that 2x2 will go down if nothing else comes up