Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Whitetail Rut up North

Me and my cousin go up to Unit #1 to hunt whitetails(I love whitties). We've been going up usually around Nov 13th thru the 20th. We'll it seems the bucks are just getting hot when we leave, so this year we decided to go up Nov 25th thru Dec 1st, but we've been hearing stuff that sounds like the rut might be happening a little early this year. Anyway I'd love to hear any information for you gentlemen up North.

Thanks
    Rich

Thanks
    The rut is basically the same time every year, the hunting picks up Nov.1 and peaks around the 12th and 13th of Nov. and quiets down by the 25th of Nov.

Prime time hunting is the 6th of Nov. through the 18th of Nov. every year.

Thanks
    In North Idaho out of the last 5 years. We've headed home on the 20th. The last 2 days we've been there, the bucks where going nutsl. I hunted Alberta Canada 2 years in a row. The first time I went up there they told me the last week of Nov was 80% the best for rutting action. When we got there the rut was post, they said OH you should have been here last week, the bucks where going nuts. Then the next year we went the last week of Nov(24-30th), and they where crazy. I shot a 160" buck that was with a doe along with 8 other bucks fighting over her, so I don't buy your every year is same in Canada or Idaho. It might be that way in WI I don't know. Thanks for your advise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by huntnrich View Post
    In North Idaho out of the last 5 years. We've headed home on the 20th. The last 2 days we've been there, the bucks where going nutsl. I hunted Alberta Canada 2 years in a row. The first time I went up there they told me the last week of Nov was 80% the best for rutting action. When we got there the rut was post, they said OH you should have been here last week, the bucks where going nuts. Then the next year we went the last week of Nov(24-30th), and they where crazy. I shot a 160" buck that was with a doe along with 8 other bucks fighting over her, so I don't buy your every year is same in Canada or Idaho. It might be that way in WI I don't know. Thanks for your advise.
    From what I've read, the rut all across North America is triggered ONLY by the decreasing amount of daylight. Not weather, moon phase, or anything else. Activity can definitely be affected by outside variables but doe's will be bred at the same time every year in each local region.

Thanks
    You are right it depends where you live, how active the bucks will be? In the Wisconsin and Illinois, you have gun seasons going nuts at the end of November, so deer activity really goes on at night. I'm sure its the same way in the pressured areas of the Dakotas and Minnesota.

Canada is a whole different story the deer up there are not hunted near as hard as the US for the most part. And I'm sure in area of very little hunting the majority of the rut activity occurs Oct. 24 - Dec. 5.

Weather and hunting pressure affect deer movement a lot!

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I just hate to make a mistake and leave when the bucks are going crazy.

Thanks
    huntnrich - I have always wanted to hunt Whitetail. Being from Utah and on a limited budget i have never had the oppertunity.

Had always been content with Mule deer and elk, but now I would love to expand my hunting and try for Whitetail.

Is there a lot of public ground in unit 1 or are there other units up north where a first timmer diy guy can cut his teeth?

I primarily bow hunt, but am open to any hunting. Thanks for any advice from anyone. Dave

Thanks
    Ive always been told, as well as witnessed it for myself, thanksgiving week every year in idaho. Never gone before that and thats when ill be going this year as well.

Thanks
    The whitetails in North Idaho are just barely getting started. A week ago it was very quiet and not much daytime movement. With the weather moving in right now and timing, things will start picking up. You cant go wrong after the 20th - Dec1st, that's when the big boys start running!
    Dirk Durham
    Elk 101 Prostaff
    www.elk101.com

Thanks
    Thanks Dirk for your info, We've moved are hunt up to Nov 20th thru the 27th,(that's right my wife is furious with me for missing Thanksgiving). I'll post pictures if we're successful when I get home.
    Backstraps, We've never had much of a problem with private property. Idaho has lots of public land, God Bless Idaho I love hunting up there.