Thread: First Timer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First Timer

Hello all,

I am super excited as this is my first thread post! In my efforts to learn about hunting elk in Colorado, I of course joined eastmans.
    I am in the first stages of planning a hunt for a buddy and I. We understand a rifle season may give us a better opportunity at a bull for each of us, but we are aware of the not-so-likely odds. We are not opposed to bow hunting, which we prefer; but, we would really like to atleast have an opportunity at a good representative of the species for both of us. The research I have conducted thusfar seems a bit overwhelming; soo many elk and hunting options, but the question is where and when to go, to not be the guys at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Any suggestions and help are very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Welcome! You have a tough decision to make as Colorado has lots of good if not great hunting opportunites. My first question to you..Have you ever been to Colorado? If not it is pretty difficult to apply for a tag in an area you know nothing about. Check out the Colorado DOW website, their hunting section has lots of statistics for PPT's required, tags issued, etc. Good place to start. You will definately need to narrow your search area. You definately want to check out the MRS area if this site, great infor there too. Good Luck.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, as I am finding out, it is rather difficult since I have never been to Colorado. The two of us are concidering an otc archery hunt in 2013 for either unit 78, 80, or 81. These of course are early considerations, but we are concerned about access, ability to get away from other hunters, and trophy potential. Its probably tough if not impossible to have all three but we are willing to put in hard work and test some youthful legs. If any insight can be offered about any of these units it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToAWildPlace View Post
    Yes, as I am finding out, it is rather difficult since I have never been to Colorado. The two of us are concidering an otc archery hunt in 2013 for either unit 78, 80, or 81. These of course are early considerations, but we are concerned about access, ability to get away from other hunters, and trophy potential. Its probably tough if not impossible to have all three but we are willing to put in hard work and test some youthful legs. If any insight can be offered about any of these units it would be much appreciated.
    Good luck to you in finding what you are looking for. In western MT it seems that after 17 years of hunting, I am also looking for those things "access, ability to be hunting "alone", and trophy potential. But you have to decide from day one that if it is an animal I would shoot on the last day and be happy with it then, I must shoot it also on the first day.
    Had two military buddies come up from Florida last year, we pounded out 54 miles in sub freezing weather with between a foot and six inches of snow. Day one and two saw 2 small but legal bulls neither shot. Day seven they were itching to see something legal to "bring home something" Ended with a great whitetail, but no elk. Saw seven bulls, awesome hunting for a week here, but no elk shots taken.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Was doing a little research for you yesterday. When you start looking for statistics unit 78 is combined with several other units (both for reporting and tag purchase) so you get the bonus of more units to hunt in. 80 & 81 are also combined. Looks like you can draw a cow tag with no PPTs, might be a good way to start out there. Get some BLM or NF maps to start with, looking for where the access is and where the private land is.I've never hunted there, but it is in the Sangra de Cristos, which is real pretty country.

Hope this helps some.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley