Thanks

In the market...

I by no means need any more guns, since I have 5 shotguns and 12 rifles, but I am looking at selling or trading some in for a cailber I've always wanted. I'm looking into .308s. The sheer number of loads and bullet types is awesome, and you can have a lot of fun with them if you go the military surplus route.

So my question is this. I've nailed it down to the Remington Mod 700 VTR, the Tikka T3, and the Thompson Center Venture.

I've been a Winchester guy my entire life. I own 6 Model 70s and have one Remington that was discontinued in the 60s. I hear nothing but good things about all of those I listed, but I'm just wanting to see if any of you have experience with any of them. I'm leaning towards the Mod 700 coming from a military family, but I'm open to suggestions.
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Hunting camp coffee isn't complete until you chew the last drink.

Thanks
    700 no doubt. That is just one mans opinion. Their record speaks for itself. Military and civilian.

Also tons of aftermarket stuff for them. They are kinda like the small block Chevy of aftermarket accessories.

Thanks
    I like all 3 options. However, my experience with Remingtons has been heavier triggers, and I'm picky about them. I don't want to have to do any work on a gun after I purchase it (aftermarket stuff).

I have shot a couple of Tikka T3's and absolutely loved them. Very accurate, great trigger, smooth bolt w/ low throw, and I like the safety. The safety on my Weatherby Vanguard sticks up high enough that I've had issues with it being tripped while slung over my shoulder. My choice for a next rifle will be a Tikka.

I've also heard some great things about the TC Venture. Have never shot one, though. My brother has said it will be his next rifle.

Try something new, it's just more fun.

Thanks
    Yeah I was really considering the Tikka as well. I just like the 700 as far as tactical purposes go.

I have 2 Pre-64 Model 70s in 30-06 and .270. Then I have 4 more 70s in 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 WSM and .338 Win Mag.

I love my 7mm and .338s but they both desperately need muzzle breaks. Especially the 7mm.
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Hunting camp coffee isn't complete until you chew the last drink.

Thanks
    Tikka, for sure.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM. Nothing but good things to say.

Thanks
    of the 3 you mentioned; I would take the tikka. The new model 70's that are being turned out today are a very, very good rifle. IMO, remington quality is slipping.

Thanks
    I'd say you really can't go wrong with a 700.... That being said, I bought a Tikka T3 in .270 last fall, and I love it. It is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot, and doesn't really kick all that hard, considering the light weight. I'll probably eventually buy another one in .300.

I don't know much about the Thompson..