Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Antelope Hunting

I am wondering if anyone has any info on places to go antelope hunting up around the craig or maybell area. My dad and I went hunting in unit 201 a couple years ago, only after my dad put in for 14 years and finally drew his tag. I had heard that you can draw a private land only tag in that area every couple of years. Anyone know where to start looking for private land to hunt? Is there even very many people who are willing to let you hunt on their land? Any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In 201 it looks like the only way you can antelope hunt without needing massive amounts of points is drawing a second choice archery doe tag. There were 5 available last year with 9 guys applying. There is always the landowner voucher route which can get pretty expensive especially in that part of the country. Moving east you could draw a unit 3 plo tag every other year, again though, those ranchers out there like the income they get from antelope. Unit 3 is one of the more sought after tags in the state. If you find the right outfit you might be able to get away with paying a $500-1000 trespass fee.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to coloradoshedhead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 4 Posts
    Knocking on doors will not gain you access anywhere near Craig. You will need to pay a pretty large trespass fee and there aren't near the antelope there used to be. Many outfitters in that area have stopped offering antelope hunts altogether.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Granby guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the info. Sounds like I will just have to play the points game because I know my dad will never pay the money for a trespass fee!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 7 Posts
    For an estimate, a Gunnison landowner voucher last year would run around $6k and they got hit worse than the deer. Mountain speed goat can be a tough tag to get lately.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post: