Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    This is a great thread! I have never had a life threatening injury while I was out hunting but I am a HUGE klutz so I am just waiting for the day.. I go out shed hunting and hunting a lot alone and so I am seriously considering getting a "SPOT." Anyone use one?

I am going to get a PLB, and i have done a lot of research on them, i would never buy a Spot, one thing is the yearly activation fee of about $120.00, and 90% of the reviews on them are Bad, from the research i have done, the ACR ResQlink is one of the best, there is NO activation Fee, and they work in heavy cover, the Spot doesn't. from what i have seen, the average price for one is about $275.00.

Kevin
    Last edited by buckykm1; 12-08-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: add some thing

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some of these storied made me pretty queasy! You think you're a tough guy until you really consider.
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Buckykm1, a 406 beacon is the way to go. The upfront costs of a PLB seem like more but after a few years of SPOT subscriptions the PLB costs less. Not to mention the PLB 406 beacon has far better coverage worldwide and in a variety of situations. They work betterin terrain and thick cover. Plus most national SAR assets(ie Coast guard, Airforce, etc) are more than familiar with the PLB and how to use the information.
    Most if not all military pilots fly with a 406 beacon of some sort. i know in the navy our emergency radio in our flight vest has a 406 beacon in it.