Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

montana south west general areas

Could anyone help me decide on a general deer area in southwest montana. This will be my first time to the state and was hoping to get pointed in the right direction. Just a unit no specifics. I'm not afraid of walking and backpacking overnight. Are there good numbers of deer around there? The ones Im looking at are 328, 330 or 360. anythings appreciated thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I haven't spent much time in 328, but over the years I have harvested deer in 330 and 360. I wouldn't say either of them have high deer densities, but deer can be found with a little effort.

It has been a few years, but some of the biggest non-typicals ever taken in MT came out of those units, so you never know...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've never hunted deer in the those units, but just north of 360, in 311, while I was going to school in Bozeman I chased a very big mule deer buck on some MSU owned ranch land near Norris. Followed him for nearly ten miles total and bumped into him four times but could never seal the deal... he didn't get that big being stupid. It was, by far, the biggest buck I have seen hunting. Also in the same unit, a buddy shot a nice 5x5 muley near Amsterdam on some farmland. The farmers were really great about letting us hunt on their property. Lots of deer but access was always an issue. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MSUCat-I have always drivin past that MSU land wondering what was over the hills. maybe it is time for a little hike over there . I agree with bitterroot. You are not going to be thick in deer every day but chances are if you find one it's going to be pretty good. Enjoy your time in SW Montana, hunt hard and enjoy yourself. we have some beautiful country in the mountains that holds alot of game.
    Highcalibergear.com

We can help you cut your pack weight to get you farther back! Be sure to like us on Facebook to get website updates.

ultralighthunting.com

Blog that specializes in the ultralight hunter. Find gear reviews, hunting trip reports and tips on how to cut weight off of your pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey J boe... Why did you choose that area? Are you coming from far? The further east you go the better the numbers are. I agree with above... Good deer but not big numbers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by J boe View Post
    Could anyone help me decide on a general deer area in southwest montana. This will be my first time to the state and was hoping to get pointed in the right direction. Just a unit no specifics. I'm not afraid of walking and backpacking overnight. Are there good numbers of deer around there? The ones Im looking at are 328, 330 or 360. anythings appreciated thanks.
    having spent my college years around Dillon, That is what i think of for south west MT. If you can hit the rut around there and are not afraid to pound the ground there are some stellar bucks to be had. I saw two in my four years that would be easy over 200" and would not be surprised if they were over 220". Careful on unit boundarys there it is easy to hike across lines. Might want the new GPS program on hand for management units as the rules are different in every unit down there it seems.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info all. I think im headed to 360 for the rest of the season. Does anyone know anything about the madison-bear creek WMA? I think i will start there and hike through into the wilderness. thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I missed a chance at a whopper in Bear Creek late season about 15 years ago. Low deer numbers. Good trophy potential. Besides glassing, tracking a big deer track could produce for you.