Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it is bow huntable, but not like timber hunting. it is sagebrush and deep canyons, but dont let the sagebrush fool ya....its tall stuff in places. there are some canyons off the N-NE side of steamboat that i have stood on top of my atv seat to see over the sagebrush (im 6'1" tall). if you get over on the SE side of the area (around bridger coal mine) there are some places with juniper draws that you can bow hunt as well. Just keep in mind....90% of the area is short sagebrush country, so try to find the out of the place canyons and water holes. my buddy and i bow hunted it last year....he was unsuccessful, but not because we didnt get into bulls. Just no good shots at the bulls he was lookin for. he got a good bull during the rifle season, and remember, in wyoming you can hunt both archery and rifle seasons. so if you hunt both dont limit yourself to just one. they are one right after the other.......hunt the last week of archery then the first of rifle if you want to give yourself the best opportunity for a bull. good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a lot for the information. Sure appreciate the help. I'm really looking forward to getting down into that country searching for elk.

An add on question.......It looks like the weather during bow season and possibly even during the rifle season can be pretty warm. I'll be flying to WA, then driving with my dad over to WY for the hunt. What do you guys do with the meat for hunts that may last a few days / week? I'm assuming it may be too warm to hang. Is there a place near 100 where a guy can take the meat to hang in a cooler? Being too warm is not ususally something I really have to worry about up in my neck of the woods.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We have had good luck with the meat processor in Green River. I don't remember the name of the outfit .I think that a stop to the sporting goods store in GR would point you in the right direction. If you are coming in from the north then maybe a stop in Pinedale might be in order.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    there are two in green river...R & B meats and Hendersons and one in Rock Springs...the butcher shop. All have been good to me, cant say one is better or one is worse. Rock Springs will be closer to your hunt area thats for sure.

the weather will be anywhere from the 80's to the 40's depending on....well the weather. the earlier you hunt the better chance it will be in the 80's, the later you hunt....you just never know. could be 80's one day and snowing the next.

if you have any other questions, just pm me and i will help as much as i can. lived in the area for 38 years and pretty much live out in the country all year round.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks again for the information.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Wyoming Elk Unit 100-1

My wife and I drew Elk 100-1 tags also this year with maximum points. We have previously hunted the Casper area several times, but this is our first hunt for Elk in Wyoming (it will be my wife's first elk hunt). We like to meet the local ranchers in person and wonder if anyone has contacts for ranch owners in Elk Unit 100? It's a great way to learn about local culture and to meet some really nice people. So if anyone has suggestions, please advise. Looking forward to October 15th! Also, if you have a recommended place for camping that would be helpful also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Been trying for years to draw a NR tag for 100 with no luck. Have had the max Pref pts every year too. You are really lucky. Finally gave up this year and am going on a wilderness hunt to Thorofare, so no points now for elk. I'll be 70 next month, so I'll probably never get to hunt elk there. Been all over this country and saw lots of elk...so enjoy.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Even with maxed out points, as a non-resident its extremely low draw. I just wish to be able to buy WY general licenses OTC again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya we applied there this year also without luck. The odds really swing back and forth in that unit. Should be less apply there next year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Ya we applied there this year also without luck. The odds really swing back and forth in that unit. Should be less apply there next year.
    I wouldn't bet on it. The only ones for sure are the 12 or 15 NR's that got tags this year and have no PPts left.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley