Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming unit 100 Elk

I just drew this tag thinking I was actually going to get my second choice. Total shot in the dark, didn't even have any points. I do have a lot of questions. I know it is a huge area with tons of elk. Not giants, but 320-330 is a reality. Just wondering if anybody had any pointers or tidbits with this unit. Where to stay away from etc... I grew up in Wyoming but never hunted anywhere near this unit. Should be interesting. Would love to hear what you all have to say. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First of all, Wow! Congrats! You were extremely lucky. As for the area, I wish I had info to share but I haven't done much hunting in that part of the state. I have heard of guys just driving around, road hunting with elk running out in front of them. Those two words used in the same sentence as elk hunting still doesn't make sense to me. But, it seems like a pretty easy hunt. I wish I could direct you one way or the other; all I can say is make the most of it!
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have seen nice bulls in the south east corner of the unit around Flat top mountain. I have not seen elk, but seen sign around Poison Butte rd west of Baggs. I would love to go over and explore that country a little more so if you would like some company scouting give me a holler.

Jerry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Poison Buttes and the Flat tops are not in elk unit 100. They're in 124.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah, 100 is the sand dunes area north of I80 from RS to wamsutter....great area.....good bulls but not easy hunting. NO timber, lots of deep canyons and open sagebrush. be ready to shoot long distances........lot of people road hunting. hunted it last year with a buddy, he shot a 320 class bull. we saw bigger on the first day but he was holding out for a 370-80 class bull, never did see one. did see several 350's shot. there are 370's out there, but good luck finding them, then getting a shot. try to find the areas where there are no hunters or low numbers.....you will see when you get out here most people congregate around steamboat mountain. big area, so you can get away from most hunters, but you will need some help finding the out of the way areas.

an atv would really help you cover country....just a little tip. give yourself as much time as you can, it is a very very large area and you will need as much time to cover it all and find the elk you want. you will find elk fairly easy, its the big one that could take time. good luck to you, pm if you would like to chat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've seen a lot of good bulls around Steamboat Mountain but I am sure that is where most people hunt. Up on top of Steamboat is the closest thing to any real timber in that area. I have seen a lot of elk on White Mountain as well. Ceder and Pine Canyons are good spots too find elk as well. Oregon Buttes might be worth checking out. I agree you will see a lot of elk out there but finding a big bull you can get a shot at will be tough. Good luck, and congrats on getting that tag with no points!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    steamboat is where the elk like to be around, but come that opening day.......good luck! we actually saw the two biggest bulls in the desert between steamboat and farson, two really big boys (350's) but my buddy passed on them, dont know why....he had big bull fever. White Mountain can hold big bulls but i find that harder to hunt, i really do like to hunt around bridger coal company....most people dont go over there and if you can cover area...there are very big bulls over there, but they like to stay on the coal company non-huntable land. if you can watch them and IF they come off.....thats where ive seen the bigest and badest over the years. i also have a good buddy that works at bridger and he tells me when and where the bulls are located on the property, but that doesnt mean they will come off, just the area to "keep an eye" on if you know what i mean.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    deer season will put a lot of hunters on steamboat. Not much cover in much of the area but elk will materialize out of nowhere. They seem to like the high ground and have seen them standing on their hind legs to gain a little more height. We have only antelope hunted that area but always saw a ton of elk. Like most of Wyoming , rain will make traveling on the many 2 tracks near impossible. I would think that being able to cover a lot of ground is key.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great info. I have been searching for guys with first hand knowledge of this unit since the drawings, with very little luck on other forums. Finally a forum with people giving out some tips. I drew this hunt with my dad (party permit) this year, we also figured we'd draw our number two pick, and still keep and gain a point. Huge surprise to see we drew our #1 pick. We're both pretty excited to do this hunt. My scouting will be pretty limited as I live in Alaska, so all information gathered is going to help out. One question I have, after searching the internet for pictures of the country is......is this a very "bowhuntable" area. Looks like antelpe country to me, which would make it pretty tough judging by the pictures. Would love to hear opinions from those that are familiar with the area. I think we've sort of resolved ourselves to the rifle season in October, but am still pondering......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll bet some elk decoys would work for bowhunting. One of those cow elk head hats might work also. We saw a lot of elk around the springs that come out of steamboat both N and S so setting up there with a ground blind might work. Was some drilling going on last time I was there. Don't know if this has picked up or slowed down. The BLM office is in RS they might have some info on the drilling.