Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Late Season Boot Gaiters... Recommendations?

Wondering what folks recommend for the best late season boot gaiters... brand and model. I'll be hunting in potentially deep snow and cold conditions. I'd like something waterproof and also a quite. I'd like to avoid any noisy nylon type material that scratches when every stick of brush hits it.

What about a best "all-around" boot gaiter for early snows through the late season? Would recommended brand or model be different than what's best for late season?

I've looked at the OR (Outdoor Research) and Kenetrek products online but haven't seen them in person.

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    I've used a couple different types over the years that weren't that great until I got the OR ones (outdoor research). Probably hard to find a better gaiter in my opinion. Very durable and fit, wear great. I've had mine for several years now with no problems although they don't get used a ton. The Kenetrek look to me like the OR's with their name on them instead, but I could be wrong.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    +1 OR gaiters hands down. I wear this 100% of the time once snow hits the ground when im guiding and hunting for myself. When chasing hounds after lions i will never go a day without them. I have spent entire days hiking through all different conditions from dry snow to wet, and the OR gaiters hold up great. I have had plenty of clients bring the Kenentrek ones or Cabela types and they do not hold up at all after long periods of time in those conditions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    After trying all sorts of brands, I have found the Kenetrek gaitors, and they have been extremely durable and waterproof for me. I easily recommend them.

They do not collect snow on the sides or form ice balls underneath.

I would stay away from the Cabelas gaitors.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys! What type of material does OR use? All I've ever seen is the nylon type. I believe that Kenetrek has a fleece type outside material. Is the OR material quiet enough for stalking in very close?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The ORs and Kenetreks are extremely similar in materials and construction. Neither has a fleece exterior, but rather a nylon ripstop bonded to a waterproof/breathable membrane (Like a 3-layer waterproof/breathable jacket). While both aren't as quiet as fleece when dry (Why use gaitors in dry conditions?), what they do well is shed snow and fit tight to your legs. The result is they don't rub together as much when walking, and don't hold water and freeze solid like some fleece designs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks BB. I'm going to see if I can check out one or the other in person. Price seems very similar. If I'm a size 10 to 11 boot what size gaiter do you guys recoomend L or XL... there seems to be some overlap in both models.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would go XL. They fit tight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    If I'm a size 10 to 11 boot what size gaiter do you guys recoomend L or XL... there seems to be some overlap in both models.
    I usually wear a size 11 boot and have size large OR gaiters. I use them over bulky sorels for snow shoeing too and they fit over them just fine. Not sure how much bigger the XL would be?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. I went with the OR. I found a set online on sale for just under $50 shipped. I went with the large after calling the company and they fit great. I could see how the XL would work better with heavy bib type pants or very large pac boots, but the L will work just fine for my needs. Looking forward to putting them to the test! Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations.