Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Dakota?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

South Dakota?

As you can tell from my name, I live in Minnesota. I am trying to figure out an antelope hunt for myself and was wondering what everyone thinks of antelope hunting in northwestern South Dakota? (I am looking at South Dakota because it is the closest drive for me) I would most likely be hunting with a bow too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We have had two terrible winters in a row and the numbers are way down. Especially hard hit was the Northwestern part of the state. The Southwest has some left but not great numbers by any stretch. I am not trying to bring you down but am giving an honest answer and want you to know what to expect. Just google South Dakota antelope and see what other forums have to say. Do yourself a favor and travel a few extra hours into Wyoming or hope we have a couple good winters and springs to get the numbers back up and wait till then. The GF&P dropped the number of tags by quite a bit last year but should have done so the prior year and took a lot of heat for not doing that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    PCJ is right on. I bow hunted them in the NW part of the state 6 years ago and there were plenty of goats, but the harsh winters have kept me away. I am debating going this fall, but will probably wait till 2013 at least, we cancelled our hunt this year.

North Dakota is a good one to watch as a barometer for how the antelope are doing in that part of the world, they are not afraid to not issue tags if the herds are hurting. This year they didn't issue any, that tells me what I need to know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Head west. Hunted hard last year and saw very few antelope in SD. Bucks weren't all that good. The far NW still seems to have okay numbers, but overall the numbers are WAAAAAYYYYY down in SD. As suggested above. Cross the border into WY and you will be much better off!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Wy is the place to go for Pronghorn. Lots of good quality and lots of tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There definitely are A LOT of good antelope and antelope numbers in Wyoming. We have had a few bad winters though and the antelope numbers have come way down compaired to what they used to be. I noticed this year that they seem to be back up a little bit though so as long as we keep a decent winter, I would recommend coming to Wyoming also! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wyoming seems like the place to go. Went there for the first time this year in a 2nd choice unit and saw 40 bucks on the first day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The only State to hunt speed goats IMO ( especially after all the tough winters to the north) is Wyoming. A lot of numbers and land to hunt them on. They have left ND and fewer critters stayed in SD also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in SD and with my preference would have been 100% draw on any unit in SD for bow and rifle (2 tags). I didn't buy either and went to Wyoming. I'll use my P.P. when out herd makes it worth the time away from other, better hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Non residents can hang it up for SD!!!!You wont be rifle hunting there this year no matter how many points you have!!Residents only in the 1st and 2nd draw...3rd draw is for non residents,and there wont be any tags leftover!SD says the population is too low...so they are shutting out non-residents on a year to year basis!But they are still allowing the taking of DOES!?!?!?!?!?