Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is depressing but true. I wonder how long of a wait it will be for someone who already has 10 points? I haven't consider burning my points but maybe I ought to do the math and figure something out..
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You really have to wonder how things will be 10 years from now as all these point schemes blow up like this. It is alarming a guy with 10 points has to worry about such things but that is reality. Sometimes I wonder if folks in Washington will take notice how the states are prostituting public land and put some limit on it. I definitely believe states should manage their own wildlife but his is getting rediculous. Ultimately it seems their answer is to convert things into King's Hunting Rules like Utah & now New Mexico?

Who is going to tell all these guys with 0-5 points they are chasing a fantasy? While WYG&F collects $75/year from them.

If I had 10 points I'd try to burn them on a meat hunt and get out before ALL the 11 & 10 point poolers wake up and smell the coffee.
    Last edited by Zim; 03-02-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    NDH, I think if you really want a Shiras moose Wyoming is about as good an option as there is out there. The only better one might be Idaho as far as draw odds are concerned. There are a total of 8,648 people with preference points in the NR moose system. But what you cannot easily predict is how many of them are waiting for the very best tag or just banking the points. So many guys just gather points to gather points or hold out for the very best area. A NR hunter last fall drew the single NR moose tag around Cody with only six points and killed a bull in the first three days of the hunt. Not too shabby if you ask me. So if you are willing to hunt hard in a less than top unit I really think you will be hunting moose in WY in the next 10-15 years, unless the wolves eat them all of course. Don't get too discouraged. I talked to a guy yesterday that drew a NR WY sheep tag on his first year of applying with 0 points. So it does happen.
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    True. A high school girl from my wife's hometown drew Area 1 last year with 6 points to her name. That gives me a little bit of hope; and hopefully I see the word 'successful' when the results are posted haha, switching gears... Hey Guy, what do you think about hunting moose in the 'Horns? Are those four areas competitive with the rest of the state, trophy wise?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    This is depressing but true. I wonder how long of a wait it will be for someone who already has 10 points? I haven't consider burning my points but maybe I ought to do the math and figure something out..
    Man, I agree. I had no idea that there were sooooooooooooo many people in the point pool. Thanks Zim for the link, although you really ruined my day!!! Now I really don't know what I'll do. I agree with Guy that it is really hard to know what guys will do with their points but with 8,600 people ahead of me, it just seems like it'd be awfully tough to pull a tag. Maybe I should just try for the random draw each year...
    In my mind, the only thing I have going for myself is that I am 27. Although maybe I'm wrong there too and there are a couple thousand other guys my age that have already started building points. I have no idea. Eventually, I would assume a lot of guys would give up and quit buying points or else theyll get too old to hunt. I wish there was a breakdown of the age of guys that have points, but I'm sure that that data doesn't exist. The more I learn about the big game draws, the more frustrating and EXPENSIVE it becomes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ND Hunter, For those of you guys out there who are undecided but intend to buy a point this year, I'd suggest printing out and saving that list of point holders so you can see how many guys from each pool drop out year to year. I don't know if WYG&F distributes such past records. If they do now I bet they change their policy to conceal it. I have no doubt many PH's will figure things out eventually that they have a MUCH better chance at a Shiras tag dropping out of WY and spending their $75x2 every other year in Idaho.

I was serious when I mentioned Canada. Moose hunts are cheap there. Blowing $75/year for 1% odds is nuts in my book. There is one unit I think 25 where at least you'd have a 5% chance in the random draw. That's about it.

Yikes I hope I draw this year (but I doubt it) and escape this mess.
    Last edited by Zim; 03-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    307- The Horns have the best moose hunting in the state hands down. The only other place that even remotely compares is the Snowys down in 41/38. They killed a 185+ down there this year with a bow!!!! The western side of the state isn't bad, but used to be much better. The calf count in the Gros Ventre came in at just over 10 calves per 100 cows the other day. By spring that number will be below 10/100 and the biologists say it takes 10 calves per 100 cows just to sustain the herd at a current level. Not a very good sign for the W. Wyoming moose herd.
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals