Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY - Moose - Preference Points

Can someone give me the low down on Wyoming resident and non-resident preference points. Does the application/pp system remaining a resonable chance to draw or does coming in now become a waste of money?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    Very simple. Go to the WYG&F website. Find the table listing moose point holders. Now go find the yearly quota of moose tags distributed. If you do the math you will discover for guys without at least 7 or 8 points now it's a horrible investment. The current 11 point pool is gigantic and these guys are now coming out of the "points only" game targeting the mid-tier units. It will take 10 years just to purge the 11 point pool. And that is IF the wolf problem stabilizes now.

The WYG&F knows this. That is why they were probing the notion of screwing us 11 point holders by diluting the 75/25 split to 50/50. I lowered my choice and applied for a unit that had 100% draw for guys at my level in an effort to burn my points and get off their $75/year treadmill. No doubt others will figure this out and do the same thing so I won't draw anyway.

Anybody who tells you otherwise hasn't studied the stats or is drinking HF KoolAid.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm fairly new to the western big game app's but have spent a lot of time researching everything so I have a little bit of an idea of what to expect. Last night, using the MRS section for WY moose in 2010, there were roughly 1,250 non-resident applications for I think 76 moose tags. So with those numbers, there are close to 16 years worth of non-resident applicants in the system. Assuming things don't change much, you will probably need at least 10 points or so to pull a tag in the future, maybe a few more if the wolves keep reducing the tags available. So you are looking at $75 a year for maybe 10, hopefully not more than 15 years. And I think the timeframe is similar to that for residents, maybe a few years more. With that said, I will be buying my first moose point this year for WY. I will probably spend close to $1,000 in points, and the tag in 10 years might be another $2,000. Is it a waste of money? Not if you REALLY want to hunt moose. Is it expensive? Hell yes!
    That is just my perspective. Hopefully someone else will have some more insight into this.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok, well Zim's post wasnt up before I started typing.....I guess i need to take a closer look at this too.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Zim is right. If they do change the split to 50/50 it would change the outlook tremendously for those of use with points. Based on what the guys I know at the G&F have told me, they would be really surprised to see that go through. I think they might amend it to 70/30 and maybe a long shot of 60/40 but not 50/50. I think they test this stuff out at the highest level they would ever consider and measure the public feedback and then back it off from there in the actual change. Beaurocrats at work. Over shoot the target then compromise it down to make everyone feel good about getting screwed!!!!

Apparently, they are losing applicants once they draw a tag they are not re-applying again after the waiting period. Arizona is having the same problem. The whole draw one tag then out of the game. Unintended consequences of tough draw odds, expensive application and strict expensive point system.

The worst thing these states ever figured out, was how to make money on applications without giving out tags. It should be illegal to collect money for just a place in line. This will not be the end of it. The states are relying on this income more and more each year. Some of them are beginning to test the threshold of non-resident's financial breaking point. There seems to be no end to it.
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "The worst thing these states ever figured out, was how to make money on applications without giving out tags. It should be illegal to collect money for just a place in line. This will not be the end of it. The states are relying on this income more and more each year. Some of them are beginning to test the threshold of non-resident's financial breaking point. There seems to be no end to it."

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better. Sums up everything in a nutshell.
    Last edited by Zim; 03-01-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Even if they go 70/30 or 60/40 they would be cheapening my 11 points considerably considering the size of the pool I must compete with. Heck, I fully expect much more competition this year for all the mid-tier units as the masses of fellow 11 point poolers come out. Last year my odds for unit 23 went down from 23% to 5% or something due solely to just SOME of the 11 pointers coming out.
    Last edited by Zim; 03-01-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The good news is, there's only 178 people with more points than you (12 pts.+), the bad news is there's almost 550 NRs in the 11 point pool. I get that question a lot lately at shows, guys wanting to burn their points out and just go moose hunting. They are tired of waiting for a tag, as the wolves eat away at the resource. I think the next couple of years is going to be interesting in the Sheep and Moose draw stats.
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Zim or Guy, do you have a link to the WY website that shows how many guys have however many points? I can't seem to find it. Is it worth it if you are just starting out to buy points, even if you are under 30? Earlier today, i thought it was, now im not so sure. Am I right in what i posted earlier, with their being roughly 1,250 non-residents in the pool, or is that number significantly higher? Assuming the G&F doesn't change the rules and I have a 10-15 year wait, I am fine with that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NDH, Very easy to answer your question. At $75/Year?...............Hell NO.

Just go do a combo walleye/moose fall trip cheap in Ontario now.

Here's your point chart: http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/...intsMS2010.pdf