Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheap spotting scope??????? is there such a thing

hey going to be headed out west some were hopefully for mule deer 2012 . I am from ohio and alot of friends that have came out there said they cant justify spending a ton of money on a spotting scope . well i think that it would be a great asset to have . we are planning a DIY stay out under the stars public land hunt . so here is the real question is there a spotting scope that doesnt cost a arm and a leg and is still worth hauling around . we all have good optic binos and great scopes . so one of our dads said why do you need a spotting scope. I kinda agree but when it comes to looking all day i feel a spotting scope would help. any input would be great guys . also any info on Mt south east area would also be great

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Welcome to Eastman's Forums.

I couldn't imagine hunting the West without a spotter. It is my opinion that the spotting scope is where you want your maximum optical performance. You can spot the "dots" of game through OK binos, but you are going to want a good spotter to see what they are.

What is your price range?
    What species will you be hunting?
    Will you be backpacking, horseback hunting, hiking from a vehicle?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well we are not 100% sure what were or when . our plan is to hunt south east Mt for mule deer . we are planning on maybe staying at a hotel till we get our bearings strait . But our main goal is to find a area that we can pack in set up a camp and work from there . we are young and in good shape so we dont mind long hikes But i feel with a spotting scope we could save ourselves alot of just walking around. Like I said before we are from ohio so we have no clue what we are getting into . Price wise i would say 400 is my max and yes that is really cheap but ones agian we are young and dont have the coin at this time . Plus there is already so much gear we are buying.thanks for the reply and good hunting to ya

Thanks
    Congratulations
    $400 can get you a decent spotter.

One option is the Minox MD50, which is pretty tiny, but also pretty nice. The demo deal is pretty good.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62226

Another option is the Celestron Regal ED. The 65mm model is in your price range. This spotter tops anything else under $400 in image quality, but it is a little heavier than other 65mm spotters.

http://www.adorama.com/CNR65.html?ut...m_source=gbase

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would definitely listen to Bitterroot, he knows his optics! That being said, I love my Vortex Nomad, and you could get a tripod with it and still be in your price range. Just my input!

Mitch
    Hunt hard, and trust your instincts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I couldnt imagine hunting SE MT with out a spotting scope. I took bitterroots advice and got the MD50 its a great scope for the price. Before I had that I had a cheap wind river sequoia. Even that proved to be useful it just weighed too much for what it was considering the MD50 is optically better and way lighter. The biggest thing I use a spotting scope for is judging a buck. Out here you can spot deer from a longggg ways off and not even know if its a buck through your binos.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really like my Leupold fixed 25 power Gold Ring spotting scope. It's compact and very clear. I have not not one issue with it. Leupold did not have the 15x30 power Gold Ring compact spotting scope when I purchased mine, but today I would seriously look at the 15x30 compact. It can be had for right around $400.00. Leupold also stands behind their stuff with great warranty. Now I love Leupold, but I"m not a fan of their cheaper stuff like the Sequoia which is not made here in the USA.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You definately get what you pay for when it comes to optics...scopes, binos, spotters, etc. I too bought a Sequoia (gave it to my son). I have been relying on an old B & L 20x that is over 50 years old (still have it), while crystal clear it is defiantely not compact! When I was in Cody on a recent elk hunt, I was in a large sporting goods store. There was a used Leupold 15x30 HD on consignment for about 1/2 price. I scooped it up in a heartbeat!! It is a really great piece.

All the higher end optics (Sworo, Leica, etc) are really fine pieces of gear, it all depend on you preference and budget.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would save my money and maybe buy a spotting scope for the next trip. Buy nice or buy twice. It takes time to learn how to glass for animals effectively. If you are young, you will have more energy to do more hiking. I would avoid buying a cheap spotting scope.

The Vortex Nomad and Minox MD50 are not a bad choice, if you are unwilling to buy nice glass.

The difference between nice glass and cheap glass...it you will not be able to see fine details as well and that is why you buy a spotter in the first place.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buy what you can afford. I listened to the "save up and buy the best" bit for a while then I realized having a $400 spotter is better than having no spotter. I've hunted my entire life in Idaho and from the time I was a kid until my late 20's I didn't have anything but a cheap pair of binos. They were better than nothing but If I had known then what I know now I would have had a dirt cheap spotter to go with them. If you get one and decide later that you want something better down the road sell it or give it to your kid (that's what I did). I still haven't spent the big money for a spotter and unless something major changes I probably never will. Granted sometimes I do have to get up and move to see something better but oh well I have a hard time sitting still very long anyway.