Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd say that AT LEAST one of you should get a spotter. I went on my first trip to WY this year and there's no way I'd go without one. It sounds like you are in the same boat as I was with accumulating gear. When you have to buy a pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, clothing, etc., it starts to get expensive. I bought the Nikon Prostaff 16-48 and am very happy with it. Is it a Swarovski? No. Do I need to need to count the number of hair's on a deer's ass at 1,000 yards? No. Camofire.com usually has one on sale every couple of months or so for around $300. Or else wait for a good Cabelas coupon. Bottom line though, I'd agree with bitterroot bulls that you definitely need a spotter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks guys for all the advise I agree I feel it will be a good tool to have. My freind feel cause he has a 8x32x56 night force on his 40xb we dont need a spotter and like NDHUNTER said right now buying all this stuff is getting alittle to much the wife is not going for it lol. I have a good pair of leupold 10x42 ans a 6x20x40 on my 7mm . I have my boots and clothes but i still need a pack and sleeping stuff. so maybe for this year we will hold off . do you guys feel have those scopes are good enough or would you still get a spotter ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Wink

Again, I would definitely get a spotter, and the best you can afford. The "wait and save" method of buying optics sounds reasonable, but there is a big loss in that you don't have the optic in the field for that 3-5 years you are saving up. Then there are the other things you need to purchase for a DIY Western hunt.

The spotters I referenced earlier are remarkably high performing for their price range. They are more than useable and are definitely better than using a riflescope for glassing duty. I gaurantee they would be invaluable on your Western hunt. I would informally estimate the Celestron has at least 90% of the performance of a Swarovski 65HD. Sound too good to be true? You should look through one.

Another problem with glassing with a riflescope is you are pointing a firearm everywhere you are glassing, which is a violation of basic gun safety. I would prefer not to have some guy pointing his rifle at me to see how big the buck I'm field dressing is.

One thing you could do is have your buddy sell the hubble telescope he has on his rifle. Then you could add some money to your spotter fund and put a reasonable 2-7X32, 3-9X40, or 4-12X44/50 riflescope on his rifle.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 12-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    fatkid, i recently purchased the Minox MD50 that Bitteroots turned me onto through cameraland. For less than 200 it is a great piece of equipment, I'm really happy with it. Like the others said, its no Swaro, but works for me at this time. I know for me, theres always something else coming up in life to use my $ on than to be saving for a Swaro or Leica and i'm sure i'm not the only one, maybe one of these days but for the $, you won't be disappointed in the MD50. Take Bitteroots advice to the bank, the guy knows his sh*t! It is a valuable piece of equipment to have...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    fatkid, i recently purchased the Minox MD50 that Bitteroots turned me onto through cameraland. For less than 200 it is a great piece of equipment, I'm really happy with it. Like the others said, its no Swaro, but works for me at this time. I know for me, theres always something else coming up in life to use my $ on than to be saving for a Swaro or Leica and i'm sure i'm not the only one, maybe one of these days but for the $, you won't be disappointed in the MD50. Take Bitteroots advice to the bank, the guy knows his sh*t! It is a valuable piece of equipment to have...
    I think quite a few took bitters advice on the MD50 As far as I can tell we all really like it. I think its great and from what ive read its one of the best compact spotters only second to the nike ED50. I never find myself wanting more power, but then again im not glassing miles off, most guys arent in the first place.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks guys I feel it will be what i do . I also agree about the scope being so big lol. his dad is a long range nut and built the gun and then put that monster on top. they shoot over 1000 with it . I myself wouldnt want to carry that big monster all over the country but being in his 20 and a work out nut he will be fine . I myself hope in a perfect world to spot something at 1000 and get to within 300 yrds . Know Mind you this is my first trip out west so I have no idea what we will do

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    One thing you could do is have your buddy sell the hubble telescope he has on his rifle. Then you could add some money to your spotter fund and put a reasonable 2-7X32, 3-9X40, or 4-12X44/50 riflescope on his rifle.
    Possibly one of the best quotes on this site to date

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    One idea. Buy a used Swarovski or equivalent high end spotting scope off of eBay. Their warranty is remarkable, so if you have troubles send it in for repair. If you don't need it after a hunt or two, resell it on eBay. I did this with a pair of 10x32 Swarovski EL binos for a backpack sheep hunt in Wyoming in 2009 (my avitar). I hunted with those binoculars for 3 seasons and just resold them on eBay for the same amount I paid for them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Leupold Ventana is a decent scope for not much money

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wouldn't advise getting a spotting scope unless you can afford good quality. The cheaper scopes are worth the hassle of hauling around. You don't have to buy a swarovski (my choice) but a Leupold Gold ring 12x40 is about the bottom of the useable spectrum. You won't find these for $400. Since it is your first trip, save the money, and go on the hunt.
    llp2