Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know about everyone else but you put a ton of posts on this thread and it would take a REALLY long time for someone to read. I mainly scanned through the pictures and I'm sure that's what most other guys did too.

Most everyone on this forum is awesome about out giving help and advice. Try and write one or two paragraphs about some of the problems you had and I'm sure that guys will be more than happy to help out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really enjoyed your accounts. Sounds like you are doing things that are working. Just has to all come together in the right place right time. Maybe try throwing on the backpack and bivy out further into the unit. Worth a try.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bluedunn0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you get back farther in the unit, you'll get less pressure and less weary bulls. They will be easier to call in and they'll be bigger. Scouting helps alot too, its never a good idea to go into a unit that you have no idea about! I'm glad you got some good experience.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I don't know about everyone else but you put a ton of posts on this thread and it would take a REALLY long time for someone to read. I mainly scanned through the pictures and I'm sure that's what most other guys did too.

Most everyone on this forum is awesome about out giving help and advice. Try and write one or two paragraphs about some of the problems you had and I'm sure that guys will be more than happy to help out.
    Thanks for your response, even though I am a little disappointed. This wasn't the original place I posted this story, at the time it was posted as we hunted. However, that time was past by the time I found the Eastman's forum. One of the things I love about the Eastman's magazines are the stories. I wrote up this post as a story, not as a ten second brag. I love reading other's stories.

If the members of this forum don't have time to read a hunting story, then maybe this isn't the place for me to be.
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
    If the members of this forum don't have time to read a hunting story, then maybe this isn't the place for me to be.
    There are lots of different opinions here, on lots of different subjects. I read every word of your posts, and enjoyed it. People don't have to read it if they don't want to. I hope you stick around.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    There are lots of different opinions here, on lots of different subjects. I read every word of your posts, and enjoyed it. People don't have to read it if they don't want to. I hope you stick around.
    Yeah, that was probably a little over the top.

So far this is by far the most active hunting forum I have found.
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good read. I had my first ever bow hunting season this year as well. I didn't run in to as many people but my hunt during the full moon was just as disappointing as yours. I figure I learned enough this year to give myself a chance next season. My biggest problem is patients. I have rifle hunted since I was a kid so this took some getting used to. I sat for 45 minutes on a perfect spot, got bored, stood up and spooked the spike that was 15 yards over the rise behind me. Had I waited 5 more minutes he would have been my first bow kill.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After my 1st elk hunting experience, (Which I did not kill anything), it took some time and I reflected back on any encounters I had. What could have I done different? Sometimes a very small thing can make the difference between punching a tag or serving tag soup. In your one encounter, you mentioned not having an arrow nocked. I made the same rookie mistake. I knew there were elk around. (Had bugling within several hundred yards) But I was by myself and didn't want the safety issue of having to move with an arrow on the string. (In reflection, how hard is it to put an arrow back in the quiver if you need to take off?????? STUPID!) I heard a noise and saw a bull coming at 45 yards. In the time it took me to drop and nock an arrow, he was at 12 yards, spotted me and spooked. Why do I mention this? This is one example of one small thing that could have made the difference.

With lesson learned, next trip, I managed to shoot my 1st elk under very tough conditions. Spotted bull at 40 yards, (he was young and stupid, looking for the rest of the herd). Once he spotted me and my partner, he strarted trotting our way. Immediately, I dropped, nocked an arrow and came to full draw. Shot him at 8 yards as he was trying to figure out what we are. My partner (who shoots a release, I shoot fingers, was standing there watching the show. He admitted he would have never had time to pull it off) We never came close to an elk the rest of the trip.

Point is, take some time to look at your trip. Review every encounter, look at maps again. Could you hunt in different areas? Could nocking an arrow every time you stop for calling, lunch, rest, etc. have made a difference? Would hunting more agressively made a difference? If hot, would hiking into elky ares 3 hours before sunup and do locating bugles in the dark have helped? etc. You get the point. When hunting public land, generally opportunities are few and far between. You need to learn what it takes to capitalize on those few opportunities.

(FWIW- I went on my 5th elk hunt this year. Tag soup for me. 4 elk at less than 30 yards and I never had the chance to drop the string) Still learning! I hit the maps when I got home and was putting a plan together for my next trip!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for sharing your hunt with us. i enjoyed it. sounds like a great time even if the elk are still on the mountain instead of in your freezer
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for sharing your story.