Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Broadheads

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    slick tricks for me. I have used the 100 grain standards and the 125 mags. Both are the best I have used and I have tried a lot of different ones over the years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-address-ROCKYMTN-heart View Post
    ...Penetration is determined by kinetic energy which is determined by speed and weight of the projectile? ...
    There is a lot of mis information about this. Arrows are NOT bullets, and flight characteristics of arrows are so different than bullets its not even funny. If arrows relied on kinetic energy like a bullet does, then 50 lb draw weight bows would not have pass through shots, and 80lb draw bows would blow holes out the back side of the targets.
    In reality, arrows dont rely on kinetic energy but on cutting power. The same arrow shot at a deer with field tips that sticks half way through will blow right on through and do more damage with a sharp quality broadhead.
    There was a very very well written article some time back, i believe it was in an Eastmans EBJ, but could have been in a different bow magazine that went into all the scientific parts that explained it better. However I did retain the part about the misnomers of bullets and arrows having the same flight and impact characteristics and that many instructors teach that and are wrong.

Ok here is an edit, I dug around in my magazine basket till I found it. EBJ 57, article is called "Bowhuntings Biggest Lie" By Darin Cooper.
    Great education for those who would take the time to read it.
    Last edited by wolftalonID; 03-30-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added the info needed.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Magnus stinger and buzzcuts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    arrows dont rely on kinetic energy but on cutting power.

Ok here is an edit, I dug around in my magazine basket till I found it. EBJ 57, article is called "Bowhuntings Biggest Lie" By Darin Cooper.
    Great education for those who would take the time to read it.
    Cutting power is probably a good term to use for archery. Kinetic energy is the amount of energy available at impact. The effectiveness of the impact is then based on the resistance of the target and projectile. Razor sharp broadheads will have less resistance than dull heads which will allow deeper penetration or hopefully a pass through which will maximize the damage. I think we're on the same page, but I would like to read the article. I don't have that issue. Can you scan it and email it to me?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would, however I dont have that fancy of equipment at my place. I checked online and its only the hunt stories they have archived. Contact Eastmans and see if they could email you the article, Im sure they have it digitized at their office. Sorry.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huntnrich View Post
    So then I bought the Rage. I like how they fly, but I'm concern, I've had the blades open up in the quiver. I've never shot anything with the Rage yet, but I don't think I want my first animal with them to be a big Moose. I've thought about going back to the Thunderheads, but you never hear anything about them anymore. So any great advise would be awesome.

Rich
    Rich I shot the Rage 2 blade when they became all the rage. The first year I shot a small 6 point bull at 40yds he was quartering toward me slightly ran the arrow all the way in him. The Rage left a huge hole in him, but I didn't have much blood, bull didn't go far though. Next year shot a nice 6 point quartering away at 15yds, hit a rib and my arrow just sliced him 8 inches along his side and glanced off. That same year shot at a mule deer broadside at 40 yds. Hit him behind the shoulder but must have caught a rib, because my arrow was sticking straight up and down in him when he ran off. Tracked him for about 2 miles in the snow with hardly any blood. Vowed I would never shoot them again. Went back to my 2 blade Magnus Stingers with bleeder blade.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    G5 Montec's 100 grain.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I too made the switch to the VPA Terminators and don't see myself shooting anything else for years to come. Nothing tougher than a solid one piece steel head. No welds to crack, easy to sharpen and CNC machined out of 1 piece of steel.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i've been using magnus stingers and now im gonna also try wasp boss

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used WASP Boss Bullets for years with great success.