Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broadheads

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I shot shuttle T's last year and loved them. I have also shot Montec's and Magnus 2 blades they were both great heads as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the slick trick 100gr. so far no complaints.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am very impressed with Magnus Stinger 4blade 100gr. Cut on contact design is a must for me. Amazed with field point accuracy at 327fps and penetration on elk has been perfect. Great blood trails. Sharp out of the box and very easy to resharpen and get crazy sharp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm hoping my 11 non-resident points in Wyoming gets me a Moose tag this year. I've been trying to decide which broadhead to trust. I used to be a Thunderhead 100 fan. Then all these new ones hit the market. So I tried g5 montec's about 5 or 6 years ago, they may have changed now but then you needed to sharpen them right out of the package. I lost a monster elk in Wyoming that year, great hit poor penatration, then a 24 hour thunder storm came in and I'm still in therapy losing that one.
    So then I bought the Rage. I like how they fly, but I'm concern, I've had the blades open up in the quiver. I've never shot anything with the Rage yet, but I don't think I want my first animal with them to be a big Moose. I've thought about going back to the Thunderheads, but you never hear anything about them anymore. So any great advise would be awesome.

Rich

Thanks
    Congratulations
    G5 montec 100 grain!!
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been using Magnus Buzzcuts for the past 4 years, but I am planning on switching to Silver Flames this year. The "Original" Silver Flames are going back into production in Germany again and should be available in mid-April.....Confirmed this with Markus. He has transferred the ownership of German-Kinetics to a friend , but he will be consulting on the designs.....Just as good as him making them!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've shot Thunderhead 100's for years and killed a bunch of elk and deer with them with never had a complaint. For some reason a couple years ago I decided I needed to try something new so I broke out the wallet and bought some Shuttle T's. They fly great but the animals I have shot with them (Roosevelt Elk, Mule Deer and Black Bear) all bled much less than with my old standby's. I have no idea why or if it was just a few fluke deals but I am going back the Thunderheads that never let me down. I have two elk vertebra with Thunderhead 100's stuck in them (both from follow up shots) that show how tough they are! If I get ambitious I will post a picture or two of those...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot NAP Thunderhead 125's. Have killed a few animals with them and they do the trick plus you can get six for $40. Will probably never switch to anything else. My wife shoots the NAP crossfire 100-seems to be a decent head as well at least on deer just a bit noisy is our only complaint.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "huntnrich - So I tried g5 montec's about 5 or 6 years ago, they may have changed now but then you needed to sharpen them right out of the package. I lost a monster elk in Wyoming that year, great hit poor penatration...So then I bought the Rage. I like how they fly, but I'm concern, I've had the blades open up in the quiver. I've never shot anything with the Rage yet, but I don't think I want my first animal with them to be a big Moose."
    My experience is shooting Whitetails so I don't know if my opinion matters here (be nice). I shot Montec G5s and LOVED them. They had a great penetration holes as well as exit holes. You do have to sharpen them, but you do that on a flat stone because of the cutting angles. They're easy to maintain. I switched to 2 Blade Rages two years ago and LOVE them even more. They'll leave a 2" slice at entry, exit and everything in between. They fly like field points. I've never adjusted a sight after sighting a bow in with field points. I've got to believe all mechanical broadheads are at risk of being open after removing them from a quiver. The Rages are well worth the hassle in my opinion.

So I'm wondering, with thicker tough hided animals like Moose, does it matter how tough the hide is if the broadheads are razor sharp? Penetration is determined by kinetic energy which is determined by speed and weight of the projectile? By changing broadhead designs, you're not altering the kinetic energy unless you change grains. In comparing razor sharp blades to dull blades, the same amount of energy will push an arrow further through the resistive hide with a sharp blade all the while cutting veins in the process instead of pushing them out of the way. Hopefully that relates to an exit hole to allow more blood to spill out in order to facilitate an easier tracking job and a more likely recovery. My thoughts go to shooting accurately, consistently and using razor sharp blades.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I switched from Rage 2 blades to G5 Striker 100s last year after a friend had a Rage fail on a nice 6 pt bull. I haven't shot anything with them yet but I know they are tough, I put one through a fence picket after it glanced off the top of my target and it was fine, just needed touched up a little. But even after going through a fence it was still a lot sharper than Rages are out of the package. I like the design of the Montecs but I went with the Striker because they are so sharp from the factory and I can just replace blades if I need to.